Queen androconial patch

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

Queen androconial patch

Post by dmillard »

This is a patch of androconial scales on a a Queen butterfly (Danaus gilippus). I get a lot of these butterflies in my backyard because the males are attracted to the Eupatorium I have planted there. I like this image because it resembles a stylized eye.

nto

Post by nto »

left eye or the seabed with corals :roll:
Antonio

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

It´s a very beautiful micro-landscape you´ve composed there, David.
Was it diffused lighting only or has the light to hit in a shallow angle to display the texture so well and give this nice depth? And I´d be interested to hear what lens/objective you´ve used.

--Betty

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Planapo wrote:It´s a very beautiful micro-landscape you´ve composed there, David.
Was it diffused lighting only or has the light to hit in a shallow angle to display the texture so well and give this nice depth? And I´d be interested to hear what lens/objective you´ve used.

--Betty
Thank you Betty. I used a 63mm Zeiss Luminar. You evaluated the lighting correctly on both counts: it is lightly diffused, using flash through fiber optic light guides against one side of a section of a Fuji film canister resting on the wing.

David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic