Drop at a time

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Jbailey

Drop at a time

Post by Jbailey »

Here's a pair of shots I made of milk splashes. The first is a classic "crown". The second, made with the flash delay set for a few milliseconds catches the splash drops just as they are about to land on the plate.
Dr. Harold Edgerton of MIT was the first to work out a solution to get photos of milk splash crowns and thus popularize the quest.

Jim

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

You must be using an unfiltered flash. The milk is fluorescing.
Very nice shot.

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Thanks for the input. The flash was a Vivitar 5600 set to 1/16th. power.

It was placed to the light and somewhat behind the splash. This gave good transillumination of the translucent milk. I don't know if there was excess UV produced by the flash. In any case I appreciate your input.

Jim

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice captures!

I presume from the mention of a delay for the second shot that you used some sort of electronics to trigger the flash by the drip? How does that work, some sort of beam the drip breaks at a certain point in the fall?

Jbailey

Post by Jbailey »

Thanks, Laurie:

I use a slightly modified time-delay trigger I designed some 20 years ago. It consists of a photocell that is lit by a little penlight and a basic adjustable RC time delay. A second delay prevents the flash from firing a second burst too soon and spoiling the shot.

The milk drips from a burrett.

A photographic enthusist grandson loves to spend hours taking hundreds of shots with it!

Jim

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic