www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Drop at a time
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Drop at a time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jbailey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Drop at a time Reply with quote

Here's a pair of shots I made of milk splashes. The first is a classic "crown". The second, made with the flash delay set for a few milliseconds catches the splash drops just as they are about to land on the plate.
Dr. Harold Edgerton of MIT was the first to work out a solution to get photos of milk splash crowns and thus popularize the quest.

Jim

g4lab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be using an unfiltered flash. The milk is fluorescing.
Very nice shot.
Jbailey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. The flash was a Vivitar 5600 set to 1/16th. power.

It was placed to the light and somewhat behind the splash. This gave good transillumination of the translucent milk. I don't know if there was excess UV produced by the flash. In any case I appreciate your input.

Jim
lauriek
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice captures!

I presume from the mention of a delay for the second shot that you used some sort of electronics to trigger the flash by the drip? How does that work, some sort of beam the drip breaks at a certain point in the fall?
Jbailey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Laurie:

I use a slightly modified time-delay trigger I designed some 20 years ago. It consists of a photocell that is lit by a little penlight and a basic adjustable RC time delay. A second delay prevents the flash from firing a second burst too soon and spoiling the shot.

The milk drips from a burrett.

A photographic enthusist grandson loves to spend hours taking hundreds of shots with it!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: