house fly portrait

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nto

house fly portrait

Post by nto »

tried again with sigma 105 and reversed 50 nikon, with light not very satisfied, board eye and colored backgrond reflection :D

Technical info:
350d
extension tube 25mm
105mm set to f/6.3 at 1:1
nikon 50mm set to f/4 at infinity
two flash wtih diffuser
additional diffuser for subject
23 frame step 0.1mm
aligned with CombineZM, stacked with Tufuse

Image side crop

edit: caption Sarcophagidae portrait to house fly portrait

ciao
Antonio

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Really nice! Not sure about the pink, I guess that's the background you're talking about?

Lovely stack though, cannot see any problems! ;)

I like the glow on the mouth hairs, and the dof falloff in the hair around the face is nicely done..

nto

Post by nto »

clarification: fly larger than the usual house fly

Thanks Laurie, yes is pink , color samples are used by painters house walls

light problem can not clone your light and very difficult :D
Antonio

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

This looks great, Antonio! The only thing I could think of for slight improvement is that lighting on the fly´s right eye (i. e. the left-hand one from the beholder´s point of view) I somehow like better than lighting on the other eye. It seems that the light on the fly´s left eye was a bit less diffused or hit from a different angle and thus is a little harsher. But this is only my personal opinion. Nonetheless it´s an excellent photograph that has this SEM-like appearance which I like. =D> :D

One question concerning your set-up which obviously works so well: You wrote that you used a 50 mm Nikon at infinity, hence I guess it was not the EL-Nikkor that you reverse mounted onto your 105 mm macro lens? But could one use the 50/f2.8 EL-Nikkor instead or should one better use a standard 50 mm taking lens for this purpose?

--Betty

nto

Post by nto »

Thanks Betty,
yes light not aligned well, for right eye, small portion diffuser flash external diffuser subject (I dare not think difficulties with 10x and positioning light :cry: ) :D

50mm is AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

with nikon el 50 f/2.8 not tried, but I think it is best traditional 50mm at f/4

with sigma, front lens and distant of 32mm by filters ring,
maximum magnification possible and 3x,
50m at f/5.6 improves very quality, but with 25mm extension tube sticker board, optimum quality found with 105mm at f/6.3 and 50mm at f/4

with other setup 100mm and 50mm not know maximum magnification possible and optimum quality

sorry for language incorrectly

edit: 3.2mm by filters ring to 32mm by filters ring
Antonio

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Excellent detail and definition!

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Excellent portrait,bravo! I envy you guys when you can get photos well this good!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

nto

Post by nto »

Many Thanks Guys :D
Antonio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic