Sweat bee

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

Sweat bee

Post by dmillard »

Nikon CF N Plan Achro 4/0.13, 40 images stacked in HF

This is the head (a little over 3mm between antennae tips) of Agapostemon texanus, a fairly common halictid bee here. The purple background is a transilluminated petal of the passionflower upon which it was feeding when I captured it. The image suffers a little from stacking artifacts - I'm still working on that aspect :?

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Looks pretty good from here! :D

What sorts of artifacts are bothering you?

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

rjlittlefield wrote:Looks pretty good from here! :D

What sorts of artifacts are bothering you?

--Rik
Thanks Rik -

I was able to remove a lot of halos around the perimeter of the head with PS, but can't address the internal ones very well. I think they contribute to an overall loss of resolution; e.g., I can see see clear branching of the setae in the individual image slices, but lose a lot of this detail in the stacked image.

David

nto

Post by nto »

I find enjoyable image, perhaps find fault is higher background brightness antennas, antennas for better lighting would have better balanced final result, are only subtleties, image and beautiful!!
Antonio

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

nto wrote:I find enjoyable image, perhaps find fault is higher background brightness antennas, antennas for better lighting would have better balanced final result, are only subtleties, image and beautiful!!
Thanks Antonio,

I agree - the backround does compete with the head. The image would have been improved if it had received about 1 stop less light, either by moving the backlight farther away, or masking it with a neutral gensity gel.

David

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dmillard wrote:...halos...
I wonder if you've tried TuFuse? Sometimes it has less trouble with halo than HF does.

--Rik

P_T

Post by P_T »

The subject itself is nicely shot but I'm not sure about the colour of the background. It seems to clash with the green/blue of the head rather than complement it.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Technically nice capture but somehow I don't like the entirely disembodied head look. Was the head actually detached? Stack looks fine to me at this size!

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

rjlittlefield wrote:
dmillard wrote:...halos...
I wonder if you've tried TuFuse? Sometimes it has less trouble with halo than HF does.

--Rik
I agree Rik - TuFuse looks very attractive. However I doubt a version will be developed to run on a Mac. I either need to upgrade my Power Mac G5 to an Intel version so that I can run Windows on Parallels or BootCamp, or buy a machine that runs Windows native.
The subject itself is nicely shot but I'm not sure about the colour of the background. It seems to clash with the green/blue of the head rather than complement it.
You're right P_T, the idea was more attractive than the outcome.
Technically nice capture but somehow I don't like the entirely disembodied head look. Was the head actually detached?
Thanks Laurie. The detached head is a bit disconcerting; it brings to mind scenes from the French Revolution. The head accidentally became separated when I was attempting to position the bee in front of the lens, so I thought I would photograph it independently to see how it looked. This particular bee is so beautiful I think I'm going to make more attempts with another specimen.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic