portrait of potter wasp

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

nto

portrait of potter wasp

Post by nto »

today tried with sigma 105mm and 50mm inverted, result seems to be good, full frame, approximate scale bar is (7,4mm x 5mm)

Technical info:
350d
extension tube 25mm
105mm set to f/6.3 at 1:1
nikon 50mm set to f/4 at infinity
two flash wtih diffuser
additional aluminium for reflectance
20 frame step 0.1mm

ciao
Antonio

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

A nice, strong composition with a perfectly harmonious background.

I'm not sure what is going on on top of the head. There should be three ocelli in a triangle but there are rather more bulges of about the right size.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

I suspect the extra bulges are water droplets, judging from others on the eyes etc.

The composition, lighting, and stacking are all very nice, Antonio -- well done!

--Rik

acerola

Post by acerola »

Harold: I think some of them just droplets.

Technically it is good. Maybe a little too light at some places on my monitor, and the legs are distracting a little.
Péter

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice shot! Like the 'tongue' sticking out! Also like the monochromatic silver look you've got here. Due you think that's due to the aluminium reflectors you used?

I see what Harold means about the simple eyes, but I notice some drops of water on the compound eyes (Same problem as me, too impatient to get stacking once the bug is out of the fridge!!) so I wonder if some of those bumps on the head are drips of condensation. It's definitely not a stack alignment issue as that would also be apparent in other areas of the image...

What software did you use for the stacking, and what did you use to do the focus steps?

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

acerola wrote:Maybe a little too light at some places on my monitor
Yes I meant to say that as well. The flash highlight on the top of the left eye does appear slightly burnt out on my monitor too, but I appreciate this can be a difficult balancing act!

I suspect Antonio may have his screen setup slightly darker than mine!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:The flash highlight on the top of the left eye does appear slightly burnt out on my monitor too
Monitor settings won't matter much. Portions of that area are full of 255's so they will appear pure white on any monitor.

But I assumed this was intentional, in keeping with the somewhat stark "silver" theme.

It is a vexing tradeoff.

For scientific purposes, we normally want photos where nothing is blocked up or blown out -- no pure blacks or pure whites.

But such images often are not as striking as more contrasty photos where actually some information has been lost.

Sometimes the best one can do is to shoot with slightly "flat" illumination so that everything gets captured, then punch up the contrast later if appropriate for a particular audience.

--Rik

nto

Post by nto »

Thanks so much to everyone,

Rik you my thoughts centered,

global stack is 20 frames, hair and eye edges is 28 frames,
aligned with CombineZM, stacked with Tufuse,

Aluminum is used domopack, Fervi T015/E table for movement with a resolution of 0.01 mm (can also 0.005 mm :D )
Antonio

Cyclops

Post by Cyclops »

Superb, looks like its made out of metal! Fantastic shot!
Canon 5D and 30D | Canon IXUS 265HS | Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro | EF 75-300 f4.5-5.6 USM III | EF 50 f1.8 II | Slik 88 tripod | Apex Practicioner monocular microscope

nto

Post by nto »

Thanks Larry, :wink:
Antonio

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Nice portrait Antonio - I think the aluminum reflectors and the water droplets work well together to give it a metallic, Robowasp look.

David

nto

Post by nto »

Thanks David,
aluminium main function has been completed reflexes eyes , and added further light facial wasp, black shadow complete feeling metal robotics :D
Antonio

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic