Madonna and Child--15th century altarpiece

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Mike B in OKlahoma

Madonna and Child--15th century altarpiece

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

Closeup detail of a wooden Italian altarpiece from about 1400. I'd have called the altarpiece a triptych, though the museum didn't use that word, so it may not apply. Tempura and gold over wood. Image quality was astonishingly good for the awful conditions I was handholding in. I'd have sworn I posted this here yesterday, but I don't see a sign of it....I'm losing my mind! :-)

EOS 40D and 17-55IS @ 54mm
1/40th second @ f/6.3
ISO 800, ambient incandescent light, handheld
1/6 life size plus crop factor, full frame
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mike, I know how you feel -- I can't seem to calculate today!
What does this turn into, in terms of inches high on the subject?

--Rik

PS. I'd suspect that your missing post was caused by hitting Preview instead of Submit. I do that to myself periodically. #-o

Mike B in OKlahoma

Post by Mike B in OKlahoma »

rjlittlefield wrote:
What does this turn into, in terms of inches high on the subject?
The sensor on the 40D is 22mm by 15mm (give or take .2 mm or so each way). The Canon press release on the 17-55 and the B&H Photo page for the lens both agree that it has a maximum magnification of about 1/6x. So 22mm by 15mm will work out to 132mm by 90mm. Or approximately 5 1/3 inches by 3 1/2 inches if I did my sums right! That's actually bigger than I thought this was--I enjoy the 17-55 for "walking around as a lark" photography, but it surely doesn't focus very closely!

Eventually Canon will release a full frame camera with sensor cleaning that I can afford, and I'll carry my 24-105 for this kind of thing. That will do a little better for these casual closeup shots....Till then, the 17-55 will have to do!
Mike Broderick
Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Constructive critiques of my pictures, and reposts in this forum for purposes of critique are welcome

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul....My mandate includes weird bugs."
--Calvin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic