Morpho rhetenor cacica setup

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

augusthouse

Morpho rhetenor cacica setup

Post by augusthouse »

Here are some images of the setup configeration I used for my post here .

I used the FO light source as the focusing light, then (turned off the FO) and transferred the cable to the 'flash box' for the exposures. There is a lid that goes on top of the 'flash box'. The 'flash box' is still a work in progress. There is no DSLR in the following pictures - I had to remove it to take these as I only have the one camera (haven't worked out how to use my mobile phone camera yet). So you'll just have to imagine the Nikon D100 sitting on top.

The repro/copy stand is a Nikon PF-4 and the bellows a Nikon PB-6 with PB-6E dovetail.

The stage (Sinar lens board (Copal #3) and iris diaphragm below a glass stage plate) and xyz + rotation positioner are attached to the optical breadboard and are separate from the other components. The lighting facility positioned below the stage (I have a number of plans for this area) was not used in this project. The camera, in this instance, was locked down.

The FO light cables are not self-supporting. I found this provides more flexibilty in regard to positioning.

You will recognise a number of influences in this gizmo. First; the Forum, the Nikon Multiphot, the Olympus PMT-35TA and the Visionary Digital BK Lab System to name a few. This is the vertical configeration, it also goes horizontal.

I suppose I should call this the eBayPhot.

The flash LCD appears to be cracked in this photo, but it's just the reflection of the photograph on the wall.

The little blue lense in the 'flash box' is the gizmo I was playing around with HERE

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Hell of a setup you've got there Craig!

Out of interest how do you convert to a horizontal setup, do you just take the bellows off the copy stand and mount it directly to the base?

Oh and what exactly are those arm things which hold your fibre guides in place, and are those little red handles clamps, can you clamp them onto anything or do they require the optical breadboard spec holes (In fact I just realised these don't mount on the breadboard, what's that big hunk of metal underneath the whole setup?

Cheers!

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Laurie,
The bellows can be postioned horizontally or at an oblique angle on the copy stand using the standard fittings provided by Nikon on the PF-4; but it can also be removed from the copy stand and used on a bench. If used in the latter method I have a great positioner (can be seen far mid-right first image) that can be used under the subject or camera.

The fiber optic cable holders have 'magnetic' bases (on/off) and are normally used for holding gauges, etc in a workshop. The arms can be contorted in various ways. The red handle releases the tension for repositioning and then applies tension to hold it in place. I purchased these particular holders because of the quality and useability of the fitting at the end of the flexible cable. They are made by Flexbar (USA); but there are other brands that also have good 'fittings'.

The optical breadboard is aluminium so I had to place some handy steel-plate under the magnetic bases so that they would stand upright securely.

The large black area below the breadboard is the wooden base of the copystand.

Craig

g4lab

Post by g4lab »

Last edited by g4lab on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

oooh! A vacuum base - nice :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic