Another Myxomycete in Fructification Phase

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Another Myxomycete in Fructification Phase

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

20mm Canon Macro lens at f/5.6, with 30mm tube.
Horizontal F.O.V. 4.0 mm
Image stack, 78 images at .001 inch increments
Diffused fiber optic illumination

Canon 10D
Combine ZM and Photoshop processing.

I may have posted an image of a similar subject last year at this time and found it too difficult to identify. It is a small sample of a wide area of white slime say 6 by 12 inches on a log. I made various stacks to eliminate a small section of stacking mush but failed. The image in general is a good representation of the subject despite its various formations at this phase. A very delicate structure indeed.

Walt

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

That's pretty sweet! Amazingly delicate structure!!

You should try the new CombineZP, the new pyramid function (Use the stacking function called "Max Contrast Pyramid") seems to create a lot less mush than the old algorithms...

Walter Piorkowski

Thanks lauriek. I did down load and try ZP. The one pyramid function I tried. maybe not the Max contrast, on a 111 image stack took 4 hours and was not worth it. Is max contrast real slow too? I will try it though.
Walt

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

When I got CZP initially I tried running the macro called just Pyramid stack. However according to Rik this is a modified version of the old stacking algorithm, to see the proper Tufuse style pyramid in action you need to use the max-contrast pyramid macro. This produces very similar output to Tufuse...

I haven't really done any timing tests between the different algorithms so cannot comment on that - definitely the max contrast method should produce less mush though, it's worth a shot! (Can you just leave the stack running on the machine when you go to bed? That's what I used to do until recently when I got a fast machine!)
Last edited by lauriek on Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Not to sure myself there Walt. Resembles slightly Ceratiomyxia but then again maybe not. Could it be a phase where an aphaneroplasmodium is beginning to fruit? Lots of clear translucent protoplasm there. :D

Walter Piorkowski

I'll be sure to give it a try lauriek and hopefully wake up the next morning to a fabulous image. I'll look up Ceratiomyxia Ken and try to catch this one with some spores.
Walt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic