Myxomycete Dictydium cancellatum

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Myxomycete Dictydium cancellatum

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Image 1 - Cluster of emerging Dictydium fruiting bodies.

Image 2 - Dictydium fruiting bodies in transition.

Image 1- 20mm Canon Macro lens at f/5.6, 1) 30mm tube
Horizontal F.O.V. 4.0 mm
Image stack, 51 images at .001 inch increments
Diffused dome, fiber optic illumination

Image 2 -20mm Canon Macro lens at f/5.6, 1) 30mm tube
Horizontal F.O.V. 4.0 mm
Image stack, 66 images at .001 inch increments
Diffused dome, fiber optic illumination

Canon 10D
Combine ZM and Photoshop processing.

Although one of my reference guides considers Dictydium cancellatum to be a common myxomycete this is my first encounter with it. I was most fortunate again to capture it upon it’s emergence. It’s appearance at that stage bears no resemblance to its spore release phase which can be seen if you like in the my post of this subject in the Photography through the Microscope gallery. Image 2 shows the result hours later of the sporangia having become stalked. Further changes will transform the ball shaped portion into the distinctive cage like structure of the sporangium that makes identification easier than most others.

Walt

Ken Ramos

Post by Ken Ramos »

Both of these are great there Walt, especially the first. I have yet to come across this species, though the mountains are rich in slime mould populations. Wonder why? Maybe I am just not looking hard enough I suppose. :-k

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Agreed, that first one is superb - looks like drops of oil! Nice lighting...

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

These are really small Ken and easily overlooked. I actually found them scanning a log for remnants of stemonitis. If you would be so kind, take another look at image #2 in the upper right corner. There is a small bush or coral like entity there that I have been trying to get a good image of at much higher magnifications. Have you ever seen one? It appears to be fungal in nature with spore capsules at the tips that resemble pharmacutical capsules.

Thanks lauriek, people always prefer the fresh fruiting bodies. It was a bear to light and I have to work fast with these specimens as they deteriorate in less tha 10 minutes.

Walt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic