Cétonia Aurata

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Gérard-64

Cétonia Aurata

Post by Gérard-64 »

Could you tell me the English name of it?

rovebeetle

Post by rovebeetle »

Rose chafer is what it's usually called in English, but as usual with such common beetles I wouldn't wonder if there were other names as well.

Nice rendition of the metallic colors.

Cheers
Harry

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Thanks a lot Harry.

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

This species, in my experience, is always named "rose chafer".

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

A really great job on the metallic surfaces Gérard, which can be a problem. colors and sharpness are wonderful.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I was going to say - aren't Rose Chafers green - but I guess that's just a lighting issue, metalic bugs are a real pain to illuminate!!

It's a nice shot, personally I'd be tempted to try a slightly shallower stack to emphasize the face... I'd also do a sub-stack on the front right leg only and then paste in that over the top of this image to get rid of that bit showing through from the second leg...

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Thanks to all of you.You have to know that I am a novice in Stacking and I even do not know yet how to adjust the value in Helicon focus.Concerning the illumination I understant it is far away from perfect,but I am still using desk lamps which are not really proper for this job.I am just waiting to win at the loto to buy a good fiber optic illuminator.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

"I was going to say - aren't Rose Chafers green - but I guess that's just a lighting issue, metalic bugs are a real pain to illuminate!! "

The link I posted above says:-

"has metallic green coloration (but can be bronze, copper, violet, blue/black or grey)"

DaveW

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

DaveW wrote:"I was going to say - aren't Rose Chafers green - but I guess that's just a lighting issue, metalic bugs are a real pain to illuminate!! "

The link I posted above says:-

"has metallic green coloration (but can be bronze, copper, violet, blue/black or grey)"

DaveW
Dave,the one I have is rather bronze than green...

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Sorry Dave, mr observant here! I glanced at the page and saw a couple of pics of green beetles, and the couple of these I've seen were also green - of course its possible I've seen one of a different colour and didn't realise it was one of these!!

Gerard, don't worry about the lighting, I stand by what I said about metalic bugs being a pain, the lighting is good! Perhaps just a little more diffusion with such a shiny specimen...

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Indeed Lauriek I am worring about the illumination,this is the main problem for me at the moment.I can't control anything proper.A single change is the distance between the lamp and the subjet and suddenly it becomes blueish or brownish!...this is a real headhache for me..I am lucky sometime to obtain a good picture but most of the time I am unnable to predict what the result is going to be.The way is still long for me..

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

I'm intrigued. So what colour is this little fellow in real life? He's nice like this.

There are bronze beetles around my garden which look suspiciously like this one.

Gérard-64

Post by Gérard-64 »

Aynia wrote:I'm intrigued. So what colour is this little fellow in real life? He's nice like this.

There are bronze beetles around my garden which look suspiciously like this one.
Well,they are probably the same,France is not far from Ireland..

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Is the beetle acting like a mirror then and reflecting the colour of its surroundings? I note in the Kodak photomacrography book they found the only way to get the silver stripes normally seen by the naked eye for one beetle was to in fact reflect silver foil into them since they acted like a mirror reflecting any colour near to them in photography.

The other alternative is if they are interference colours, then moving the lights may alter the colour, but then would they not change colour in flight or if you looked at them from a different angle?

DaveW

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic