Mosquito portrait

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

acerola

Mosquito portrait

Post by acerola »

I just finished to process this stack. It is a mosquito. It has such a long sucker it did not fit on one picture. So I did a separate stack from that.

I suffered from heavy highlights. It seems, that one light source is barely enough for this type of subject. Tufuse made it worse with the tendency to over emphasize highlights. I just noticed after I finished the shots, that the LED torch was left in power saving mode. This way it is producing just the fraction of light than in full power. But I think it does not effect the highlights. Only the 1 sec exposure was a little too long.

Canon 40D with Nikon 10x objective with extension tube, LED torch lighting with ping-pong diffuser.
Péter

nto

Post by nto »

light fantastic game and blur stack, excellent work!
Antonio

Walter Piorkowski

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Very nice work Peter. I am surprised to see scales like that of a butterfly.
Walt

acerola

Post by acerola »

nto: I blurred the distant antenna, because I used less step in the stack there. And It gives back some depth to the picture.

Walt: I don't know if they are scales or just flat hairs. They resemble strongly to scales.
Péter

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Nice work, love the shot of the dangerous end! Looks so much like a hypodermic syringe it's scary!!

Likewise surprised to see the scales, I've only previously seen this on butterflies/moths and some beetles..

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Really great pictures Péter. I do not think I have ever seen the probosis look like this. Excellent :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic