Emergence of a Thallose Liverwort Archegonial Receptacle

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Walter Piorkowski

Emergence of a Thallose Liverwort Archegonial Receptacle

Post by Walter Piorkowski »

Image 1 – Emerging Archegonial (female) receptacle.

Image 2 - Emerging Archegonial (female) receptacle.

Image 1 and 2:
Canon 35mm macro lens on 1) 45mm tube @ f/4
Image stack, 48 images at .0025 inch increments
Diffused fiber optic lighting
Canon 10D
Combine ZM and Photoshop processing

Complying with the new gallery format, these emerging liverwort archegonial (female) receptacle close-ups are placed here. They were imaged in a controlled indoor environment.

These receptacles eventually rise to a height of 1-2 inches above the liverwort complex and produce 4 spore capsules. It is of interest to me why the liverwort creates the large number of, single cell thick, grass like strings visible at the base of the receptacle. They follow the capsules up as the stack rises. They are very similar to the one cell thick leaves of the moss plants.

Please see more of this subject, imaged using a portable macro-stage in the Nature Photography gallery, also some photomicrographs of the spores and elaters of mature receptacles in the Photography through the Microscope gallery.

Walt

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Hi Walter, good to see you again. I personally have been waiting for you to post because you always have the strangest looking things and great information on them. All three posts are excellent..beautiful and interesting and something new to me. :smt023
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Planapo

Post by Planapo »

Interesting subject, well documented, much appreciated. Same holds true for your liverwort pictures in the other 'departments'.
Thanks, Walter!

--Betty

Walter Piorkowski

Hello Doug and Hi Betty. High complements from both of you, Thank you.
Walt

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

These are lovely pictures! (That's me leaving out the science and techie bit completely!)

Walter Piorkowski

Hi Aynia. Thank you and don't worry about the technical stuff, I am just a amateur nature lover myself.

Walt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic