Robber fly - Dioctria species stack

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Robber fly - Dioctria species stack

Post by lauriek »

This is not the same specimen I posted in the Nature forum, that was shot last year, I just caught this one - pretty little fella! Full size of subject is around 11mm long.

Shot with reversed OM50/1.8 at f5.6 on OM bellows. E-330 camera. Stack of 47 images, aligned in CZM and stacked in Tufuse! (Downloaded CZP, planning to have a play soon!)

ETA link to other thread.

ps Look out for an interesting stack from me soonish, I caught a horsefly this evening which appears to have really interesting eyes! I really hope I can get some good stacks of this one!!

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

The shot with the full antennae really makes the picture outstanding Laurie. Great detail and lighting. These are my favorite flies. These flies are very agressive.
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

nto

Post by nto »

Good shot Lauriek, contour shadow right eye is good :smt023
Antonio

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

Superbly harmonious background colour.

A slightly more full-on view, with the antennae held like that, could make a stunning symetrical composition.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

That is a great shot(s)!! The antennae and the hairy bits on the bottom are great - kind of like an alien with wooly legs. :D

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Thanks all!

Harold - My background is a piece of standard coarse sandpaper, placed far enough behind the subject to be completely OOF. I vary the distance slightly to adjust the relative brightness of subject and backdrop. I've found this to be a pleasing backdrop for lots of bugs - though not all! Currently trying to build up a set of alternative backdrop colours, but at this time the sandpaper is my favourite and most used..

Harold Gough

Post by Harold Gough »

lauriek wrote:Thanks all!

Harold - My background is a piece of standard coarse sandpaper, placed far enough behind the subject to be completely OOF. I vary the distance slightly to adjust the relative brightness of subject and backdrop. I've found this to be a pleasing backdrop for lots of bugs - though not all! Currently trying to build up a set of alternative backdrop colours, but at this time the sandpaper is my favourite and most used..
Lauriek,

One of my most successful shots (on film, no scan in my personal possession) was of a brown mantid on a twig of birch with overwintering persisitent, dead, brown leaves of silmilar hue. The background was an out-of-focus sheet of hardboard, rough side showing.

For close-up and moderate macro, I have been intending to take some defocused green or brown vegetation against blue sky (ca 50/50 green/brown and blue) and have a print made. That will both give and acceptable background and help to deliver auto exposure with flash. The green or brown would be selected according to colour of the subject.

Harold
My images are a medium for sharing some of my experiences: they are not me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic