My current setup

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

My current setup

Post by dmillard »

This is a quick picture of my horizontal set-up. I adapted the Olympus telescopic extension tube to a Nikon mount, and put a Minolta RMS cone on the front of it using reverse and standard T-mount adapters. The camera is mounted on a Newport linear translation stage, which I have attached to the cast iron base of a lab stand. The fiber optic/flash light source is sitting on a small granite surface plate, which in turn rests on four Sorbothane hemispheres. I also have a vertical arrangement using a 1950's era Leitz Aristophot stand with a Leitz Ortholux base, stage and focus assembly (permits .001mm adjustments). I currently set this equipment up temporarily in the kitchen while my wife is away. Ideally, I will soon be getting some free time to create a more permanent location for these toys, and take and post the resulting images.

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Looks awesome! Excellent configeration.

How have you found the performance of the Novoflex fiber optic/flash?

So the diffuser (with background insert), in this shot, is held by one of the magnetic-base adjustable arms and the subject is held by a gem clamp that is positioned with the adjustable arm of the second magnetic base.

I can see a digital micrometer read-out on the Newport (what's the travel and Model # of that piece?). The lab stand provides the option of angle adjustments and is attached to the Newport via a quick-release clamp as is the DSLR.

Beautiful!
I also have a vertical arrangement using a 1950's era Leitz Aristophot stand with a Leitz Ortholux base
Looking forward to seeing some photos of that arrangement also.:smt004

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

augusthouse wrote: I can see a digital micrometer read-out on the Newport (what's the travel and Model # of that piece?). The lab stand provides the option of angle adjustments and is attached to the Newport via a quick-release clamp as is the DSLR.

Beautiful!
Thanks Craig -

I have bolted a Bogen #3232 Swivel-Tilt Head (with the cork pad removed) to the top of the lab stand to allow angle adjustments. The rest of the assembly can, as you noticed, be removed from the quick-release clamp, and then it could possibly be used in the field on a tripod for static subjects like lichens. I find the digital micrometer head easier to read, and I also like it because I can quickly determine departure and destination measurement points that encompass my desired depth of field. Newport's current version is listed as DMH-1, with 25.4mm travel; the one I'm using is a Mitutoyo (I think model #350-354, but I'm not sure).

Regards,
David

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

David,

Nicely set up!

These subjects are all very lightweight, but do you experience any "jiggling" by having it suspended at the end of the reticulated arm as shown?

Charlie

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Charles Krebs wrote:David,

Nicely set up!

These subjects are all very lightweight, but do you experience any "jiggling" by having it suspended at the end of the reticulated arm as shown?

Charlie
Thanks! The Noga articulated arms lock very securely, and aren't a source of "jiggling". The wiggily parts are the gem clamp (that I am replacing with a home-made holder), and the steel plate, that I plan to drill and bolt to the cutting board.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

I see I wrote "reticulated arm"... :oops:

Now then... I've seen a reticulated giraffe, a reticulated python, and I've used the reticulation filter in Photoshop, but even I have never seen a reticulated arm! :wink:

Those articulated arms look very nice. I have a pair that were made by a company named (I think) Fasso. I see identical ones marketed these days under the name Etalon. They were from Switzerland and too pricey... and I like the looks of those Noga ones better.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Charles Krebs wrote: but even I have never seen a reticulated arm! :wink:
Doesn't a "crackle" finish count?? :)

David, thanks for sharing the setup. Those stands do look nice. I have one with a similar base but a many-segmented arm with a flexible cable locking mechanism. See here. I generally use it to hold hemispherical diffusers.

I'm always interested to hear where the "jigglies" are in various setups. It sounds like other people have the same experience as me -- I never know for sure where vibrations are going to creep in until I actually build something and try it out!

--Rik

Graham Stabler

Post by Graham Stabler »

I can also vouch for the Noga arms, I have one with a table clamp on the other end, so useful to be able to position then clamp with a single turn.

Graham

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic