Yet another Weevil !

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

LSRasmussen

Yet another Weevil !

Post by LSRasmussen »

Hello all,

I've been working on my rig and doing various experiments... So here's the first real result that I want to share. I still have issues with my optics as I'm using standard Nikon lenses. Basically I'm not satisfied with the resolution I'm getting even though that I'm now using a reversed Nikkor 55mm Micro f/2.8. Last week I managed to find a Nikkor EL 50mm f/2.8 and as soon as I have the reversing adaptor I'll try that instead. Anyways, getting the fiber lights and using a background, certainly seems to have improved my results a bit.
Still have a long way to go though ! ;-)

68 image stack - D200 + Reversed 55mm f/2.8 Micro at f/5.6 - 0.5 sec exposure/image - Used a green leaf as background - Fiber light (75W)

1st edit : Species should be Curculio Venosus
2nd edit : Tried to fix the WB issue

//Lars
Last edited by LSRasmussen on Mon May 26, 2008 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Lars,

From a "stacking" standpoint most of this is fine. The sharpness looks good (don't stop down more than f5.6... perhaps even slightly better resolution somewhere between f4-f5.6). The color is off. Too saturated overall... too much yellow. And you would benefit from a little more light into the dark areas such as the lower half of the eyes and from underneath. Probably could do it without another light, just a reflector carefully placed. "Tweak" a few of those things and I think you'll be extremely pleased with the results.

LSRasmussen

Post by LSRasmussen »

Charles,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the color is way off and the lesson is not to leave the D200 on Auto WB ! ;-) I'm still learning to use the fiber light source. It has two fibers and I've mounted Pingpong balls on the ends in order to soften the light. It works, but makes it a bit difficult to position the lights. I'll try the idea with the small reflector.

BTW, I forgot to mention that the image is stacked in CZM using the Weighted Average macro.

1st edit : Tried to fix the WB issue !

//Lars

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Snout beetles always seem to make wonderful subjects for stacking because they are so weird looking. I love those antennae :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic