100% Crop

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

100% Crop

Post by DaveW »

The term 100% crop has always puzzled me since if you cut away 100% of something there is nothing left! So I searched the web to find the answer and found this:-

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/100_crop_

As he says it seems to be a bit of a misnomer, but to me I would disagree with his first statement that if you cropped away 100% of an image you would still have the full image, a 0% crop would have been a more descriptive term as you are not cropping anything away! A full resolution section or crop would have been more descriptive terminology for a section of the full image, with the percentage of cropping referring to how much of the original image had been removed?

Dave Whiteley

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< with the percentage of cropping referring to how much of the original image had been removed >>

Well, imo this is also (often) stated in an ambiguous manner, since it rarely stipulates whether it refers to area or linear.

eg if someone says 'it's a 60% crop', do they mean -

They've thown away 60% (by area) - as you suggest - of the pixels or kept 60% (by area)

or ... thrown away / kept an area that is associated with (the product of) 60 / 40% of both dimensions?

Since (in this case) there's a nearly 4:1 ratio of original image area that still remains (16% : 60%) - it's a bit 'hazy' :)

I tend to state pixel dimns of the orig and crop - then all necessary info is available to the viewer - if they're interested / bothered :)

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

To me the phrase means a crop of the original image small enough to show on screen such that 1 pixel in the original image is 1 pixel on screen. I.e. the onscreen crop shows all the detail in the (section of the) original shot at full size.

Although I can see how it could be read differently! :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic