Only a seedling!

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

DaveW

Only a seedling!

Post by DaveW »

Only a 2005 set seedling but a nice flower. Echinocereus chisoensis SB 955, plant body about 2 inches high so I think qualifies as a close up?.

And no I did not see that weed when I took the picture!

DaveW

Charles Krebs

Post by Charles Krebs »

Dave,

That is truly a beautiful flower! Great light as well.

I imagine cactus "people" want to see the entire plant as you have done here. Have you taken any "tighter" shots of just the flower (or a portion of the flower)? I think there are some other neat pictures in there to be taken.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

No I will have to try Charles. So far it is a case of recording everything when they are in flower so I don't miss them.

As to lighting I usually take them in full sun as that is when the flowers tend to open fully. The obvious problem then is high contrast so I use one of those spring open "Lastolite" type diffusers held between the sun and plant (rather like the hoops dogs jump through at the circus) to reduce the contrast.

The problem also with small seedlings, unlike taller plants, is it is hard to cut out the pot and get the full flower in because you are often looking down into the flower.

The only abstract cactus flowers I have ever done was this one.

DaveW

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

DaveW wrote:
The only abstract cactus flowers I have ever done was this one.

DaveW
Very appetizing - it looks like a bowl of sherbet!

Aynia

Post by Aynia »

You should definitely try and do more abstracts! It's lovely.

And on the subject of cactii, I've never had one that actually flowered! My sister generally has flowers.

DaveW

Post by DaveW »

Well I did this one too, but whether you would call it abstract I don't know? Certainly not as abstract as some of Charles recent images.

Most cacti like a cool and dry rest in winter Aynia and if they are kept growing don't flower so well. Of course it depends whether you are growing something that flowers small or needs to be about 8ft high before it starts flowering!

DaveW

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

Dave,

This a very nice image. You have captured the delicate texture of the petals so well. The dark background and the diffuse lighting give it a "formal" appearance.

By the time I got around to posting a comment you managed to post even more great images. I like them all!

Roy

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

Great photos Dave. I love the way the cactus flowers have such contrasting colors for all the parts. They give the true meaning to blooming
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic