Gulf Fritillary Egg

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dmillard

Gulf Fritillary Egg

Post by dmillard »

This is an image of an Agraulis vanillae egg on Passiflora incarnata that I took this afternoon. Although numerous flaws are apparent, I've been lurking too long without contribution . . .

40mm Luminar, Nikon D200 at 5.5X using a Vivitar 283 with fiber optics and modeling lights, Helicon Focus (12 frames).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

dmillard, welcome aboard! :D

That's a lovely little egg. Are the colored bands due to a caterpillar developing inside, or do they just come like that?

Hhmm... "40 mm Luminar"? I have a 16 mm Luminar, in an RMS thread mount. Is this one similar?

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

rjlittlefield wrote:dmillard, welcome aboard! :D

That's a lovely little egg. Are the colored bands due to a caterpillar developing inside, or do they just come like that?

Hhmm... "40 mm Luminar"? I have a 16 mm Luminar, in an RMS thread mount. Is this one similar?

--Rik
Thank you. You are right, this one is close to hatching - when freshly laid, the eggs are the color of pale butter. Luminars were made (as you probably know) in focal lengths of 16, 25, 40, 63, and 100mm, all but the last listed lens in RMS mounts. I have a 40 and a 63 that I picked up about 10 years, and I had a 25mm, but replaced it with a sharper f/2 Photar. I've mostly used these lenses on 35mm and 6X9cm formats, but I finally bought a digital camera with mirror lock-up, which will allow far more intensive stacking at a reasonable expense.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

I will add my welcome also dmillard. A great egg shot. We do not get too many eggs here. I lurked around for months and looked at every photo in the forums before I did my first post. Great to have you here and look forward to seeing more.

Doug
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

augusthouse

Post by augusthouse »

Hi dmillard,
Vivitar 283 with fiber optics and modeling lights
Could you expand upon this setup description? Just want to make sure I've got my head around it.

Great image. The forum can handle larger 800 x 600 images (limited somewhat to 200kb).
I like what I would call the 'focus tide' of the leaf in this image; the out-of-focus background, the infocus foreground and the detail and postioning of the center-piece.

Craig
To use a classic quote from 'Antz' - "I almost know exactly what I'm doing!"

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

augusthouse wrote:Hi dmillard,
Vivitar 283 with fiber optics and modeling lights
Could you expand upon this setup description? Just want to make sure I've got my head around it.

Great image.

Craig
Thanks Craig -

The light source is a slaved Vivitar 283, with the VP-1 Varipower control on a remote cord, mounted on a Novoflex Macrolight. I picked up a demo model several years ago from Calumet at a greatly reduced price - all I needed to do was replace the deteriorated foam light seal and a few screws. I'll post an image of my setup after I've processed a few more stacks (hopefully this weekend).

David

Roy Patience

Post by Roy Patience »

dmillard,

This really is an excellent image. Will we be lucky enough to see what hatches?

Roy

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic