Diffusion in my current rig

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Diffusion in my current rig

Post by lauriek »

I've mentioned my cobbled together diffusion tube/arch in couple of threads over in the macro gallery but I don't suppose I described it very well so here are a few pictures to show my current stacking rig...

As I don't think I've posted any pictures of this rig so far, we'll start off with the business end, without tube or arch.

In this picture you can see the lens end of the bellows at the bottom of the picture, and my prior micromanipulator subject holder top right. I removed this from it's base and fixed it (via a thin piece of wood so the control knobs clear the base) to the base. It is at 90 degrees to it's normal position so that I can use the fine (normally vertical) control for focus stacking...

The specimen is usually held either on a pin or pinched in a piece of cardboard which is mounted in the crocodile clip you can see...

--

Next here's a shot of my tube. Its some sort of packaging material, it's sort of semi-opaque, variable, foamy stuff, 0.5 - 1mm thick or thereabouts...

I just got a square of this, used blue-tac to stick one side to the opposite side to form a tube. I then cut a hole in the side for the specimen to be inserted, or rather the tube placed around the specimen.

--

Next here's the tube in place (no specimen in this shot)

The white reflector (which is just cardboard, slightly curved) underneath, which the tube is resting on is just on top of a pile of stuff which I have to vary slighly depending on how the subject is mounted, which can be a bit fiddly!

--

That was all a bit fiddly so the tube evolved into an arch. Here is the piece I cut out of the packing material...

The cutout on the left is to go around the stick in which the crocodile clip is mounted... Here it is in place.

This seems to work as well as the tube and is a lot easier to put in place without disturbing the specimen and without having to adjust things to put it in place.

--

So any thoughts on the diffusion? I'm quite happy with the output I'm getting from it, any contrast issues I think are down to Tufuse's tendency to increase contrast and my attempt to stop this by processing my RAW originals into soft looking TIFFs for tufuse to use!

I know Rik and Charlie both use Ping pong balls, and tissue paper, which I reckon would be similar to this material I'm using in terms of diffusion, but I suspect my material is probably easier to use, I can wedge it in place and it stays put if someone wafts past etc... What other solutions have you lot come up with?

--

Finally as I was taking these pictures I couldn't resist a sneak preview of my next rig, probably not on it's ultimate base, and hardly any of it is actually bolted together yet! The bellows will mount on the big black lump bottom right of the pic, the specimen will mount on the small blue ball head on the nice shiny micromanipulator in the middle, and backdrops may be held on the manipulator at the rear, but that's still undecided! :)

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Lovely! This helps a great deal, and sure enough, what you have built was not what I had envisioned. Happens every time! :lol:

--Rik

LSRasmussen

Post by LSRasmussen »

lauriek,

Many thanks for sharing your diffusing technique. I'll have to try that ! Your new XY table looks awesome. Is that commercially available ?

//Lars

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Rik, I'm sure I made it sound a lot more impressive than it actually is - does the job though!

Lars, thanks! the XY stage there (it's just two linear stages mounted at 90 degrees) - are made by Aerotech, they are intended for some sort of fiber optic alignment. They are similar to the linear stages by Newport or Parker Daedal - I've been trawling ebay for some of these for a little while now, and got a reasonable deal on 3 that were in the UK - that was the biggest problem, most of this stuff seems to be located in the US and it's quite heavy kit, and the postage and import duties would soon add up...

LSRasmussen

Post by LSRasmussen »

Thanks lauriek,

I'll have to keep an eye out for something like this on ebay. No chance of finding that in Denmark though ! ;-)

I have an additional question regarding the mounting of your flashes on your "old" rig. Do I read your setup correctly that you're moving the subject and not your camera ? If so, would having your flashes mounted to your camera not mean that your lighting changes when you move your subject ? Come to think about it, even if it's the other way round, you would still have your lighting solution change between each frame. Do you notice that at all in your pictures ?

The reason for my question is that I'm in the middle of building my lighting solution for my rig and if this is not a practical problem then I have more options for mounting my lights.

//Lars

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Lars you are quite correct...

The flash heads are fixed around the lens, and the subject is moved in and out from there, hence the lighting should change through the stack, but at the levels of magnification I'm currently using I haven't noticed a problem with this - it did concern me when I first set this up but in practice it doesn't seem to be an issue...

In an ideal world, the subject would be fixed in place, the lighting would be fixed in place and the camera would move in one axis for the focus stacking...

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

lauriek wrote:Rik, I'm sure I made it sound a lot more impressive than it actually is
Not the case at all!

I'm very impressed with what I see here, and quick as I can I'm going to scurry off and see if I can adapt some of what you've done to my rig. That's the beauty of the forum -- we get cross-fertilization of ideas. :D

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic