Bee stack

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

lauriek

Bee stack

Post by lauriek »

Some kind of flower bee, frozen, aligned in CZM, stacked in Tufuse:

This bee seems to have rather a strange jaw - I cannot see the join, plus it's almost transparent!

I haven't actually tested a stack in CZM of this subject but from past experience with hairy subjects I'm pretty sure CZM would have struggled with this. Tufuse is amazing!!

I never realised Bees had 'feathery' hairs! Not obvious at this size but clearly visible on the full size image..

Having done some single comparison shots with and without my diffuser tube I'm very happy with the way it's 'wrapping' the light around the subject...

The following image is 1/2 with and 1/2 without the tube!

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Laurie,

This is a great example of where TuFuse seems to shine -- masses of incoherent detail with no strong structure that would have obvious visibility errors. In other words, fine hairs and bristles. I'll bet it also turns out to be good for transparent subjects with overlapping details. There are a lot of those in microscopy, but that's a topic for a different forum. For insects, I suspect it'll do a great job with, say, a transparent wing having veins and hairs, in front of a detailed body.

About the transparent "jaw", I think what you're actually looking at is a drop of fluid. Notice that it's very asymmetric, left versus right, regarding where it meets the black part of the face. What the fluid might be, I don't know. It may have evaporated by now. If it hasn't, you might try touching it with some fine probe, like the end of a hair, to get a clue about the consistency. If it's thick like syrup but washes off with water, that would suggest something like partially dried nectar. If it's even thicker and won't wash off with water, it might be some sort of resin.

On the other hand, if it really is a jaw, then another stack from underneath to show it better would be most welcome! :D

I agree that your lighting tube is working great. Have you posted a picture of it yet, over in Technical? Words are great, but I'm not sure that what I'm envisioning is what you've actually built. :?

--Rik

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

Rik,

Looking at that again I think you are right, it's a drop of nectar or something like it - I will check when I get home! I think I can see the bee's right mandible at the top of that blob!

I've not posted any pictures of my tube/new setup yet and am at work right now so cannot - but will do so this evening when I get home! I've taken a few pictures I just need to process them!

I've actually developed the tube into a kind of arch now - but this will all become clear when I post some pics! It's just an alternative to your ping-pong ball (as I don't have a ping-pong retailer anywhere nearby!)

Cheers!

Laurie
--

lauriek

Post by lauriek »

I've now uploaded some pics of my latest rig and the tube and arch diffusers over in the equipment forum - http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... php?t=4819

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic