Toads mating

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Erland R.N.

Toads mating

Post by Erland R.N. »

I assume that this picture shows toads mating, A female must be hidden below this "ball" of males. I speculated if the female would die of lack of air, as I stood and watched for quite a long time, and the "ball" only surfaced so that the males at the top could grab some air.

I can count at least 12 toads in the picture. Nice find on my first day out in the new year.

Canon 5D, 300/2.8 (IS off on monopod) + 36 mm extension tube.
f/5, 1/250 s, iso 400
Slightly cropped left side

puzzledpaul

Post by puzzledpaul »

<< Nice find on my first day out in the new year. >>

Indeed ... and nicely captured too.

Also been a 'target rich' environment over here, too for such critters - about a couple of weeks ago.

(Looks like someone's been spending on 'big glass' too :) )

pp
Boxes, bottlebottoms, bits, bobs.

beetleman

Post by beetleman »

A very interesting image Erland. Would be interesting to look at the water under a microscope. There must be a shortage of female toads in the UK :wink:
Take Nothing but Pictures--Leave Nothing but Footprints.
Doug Breda

Erland R.N.

Post by Erland R.N. »

Thank you for comments.
Yes, a gave myself a used 300/2,8 IS for christmas. I hope it will come to good use in the years to come. It can produce very sharp images with my Sigma 2x converter.

Two days ago, a week after the first picture was taken, I was out at the same location again, and this time it seemed like more females had arrived. There was a lot of mating going on peacefully, maybe I could observe 15 pairs at this very place.

I think the males may arrive at the mating location first, and the first females to arrive, are in for a rough time.

There was though a female that got a bit too much attention, after I had been at the location for maybe half an hour.

The pictures got better this time out, as I was more careful with shutter time and had IS on.

5D + 300/2.8 with IS on monopod, uncropped.
f/5.6, 1/320 s, iso 800

Grabbed my Sigma 150/2.8, as some toads was swimming around my rubber boots.
5D, 150/2.8 on monopod, slightly cropped.
f/10, 1/200 s, iso 800

acerola

Post by acerola »

I like the second picture from the three. This lens has a terrific picture. The top toad is like a zombie with slightly red eye. It's a weretoad. :)
Péter

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic