Scanner Nikkor 38mm f/2.8 LS30 Scanner Lens Tested

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

RobertOToole

Re: Scanner Nikkor 38mm f/2.8 LS30 Scanner Lens Tested

Post by RobertOToole »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:46 am
dolmadis wrote:
Thank you for the link reference. The mounting arrangement that Robert posted in that link requires machining of the lens which is something I would wish to avoid myself. My remaining question is does the LS-50 mount into the RAF M42x1 adapter that Robert shows in his first post?

Thanks for the input.

John
RAF has made this adapter. It is what I've been using with my lens.

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-m26m-to-24-6mm-id
Yes, Raf does make an adapter.

I tested the adapter and found the it to have a loose clamp fit, and when you tighten the set screw it causes the lens to rotate in the seat. I'm not saying its a bad adapter, maybe the person that had it made wanted it that way? :-k

https://www.closeuphotography.com/blog/ ... pters-2020

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:48 am
viktor j nilsson wrote:
dolmadis wrote:
Thank you for the link reference. The mounting arrangement that Robert posted in that link requires machining of the lens which is something I would wish to avoid myself. My remaining question is does the LS-50 mount into the RAF M42x1 adapter that Robert shows in his first post?

Thanks for the input.

John

I tested the adapter and found the it to have a loose clamp fit, and when you tighten the set screw it causes the lens to rotate in the seat. I'm not saying its a bad adapter, maybe the person that had it made wanted it that way? :-k

I need to check mine, I'll report back when I've tried it.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:52 am

However, there's actually still quite a few available at decent prices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-Super-Co ... SwHflf3iIM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scannerobjekti ... SwgqxfgLkA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NIKON-COOLSCAN ... Sw6Ahffg9p

Note that the second link has stolen Robert's photo. Can you do something about that?
Yes, that is my image, thanks for catching that, should I ask for commission from the sale? :D

ED.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:28 am
Thanks for the references to your Tests, Robert.

I will give that seller a big miss !!

BR, John
I've bought from him in the past without any issues. I did not like his response when I wrote to him this time though:

For the record, the shipper, https://www.ebay.com/usr/nikon_coolscan replied to a message about the damage, “evert tenth package is really trashed have no control of that.”

That is a not true of course, a simple solution that works for me is to use proper packaging materials! :shock:

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:34 am
I will give that seller a big miss !!
In fairness, that was probably not entirely the seller's fault, though he should have used a stiffer box. In fact, you might even consider it a mark in favor of the seller's (inner) packing that the lens arrived in perfect shape in spite of someone stamping on it!
It was 100% the sellers fault this time Lou, although I do understand accidents can happen when shipping, this time the seller screwed up, to be fair the lens made it without damage but the lens could have easily been lost through any of the gaping holes in the box!

Couple of reasons why it was this sellers fault? {-(

1. Box was recycled. The carrier will deny any claim made if you re-use a carton (or the wrong specs, too thin).

2. I did not mention this in the post but I measured the box it was less than 1mm thick single wall. (maybe 0.5mm). Basically the box was made of thick paper.

3. Before the seller shipped it, I sent him a note when I paid to ask that he ship it in a proper box and charge me extra for materials since shipping on that item was free I wanted to avoid an envelope or tattered old box. He ignored my request and replied that he ships 100s of items without any issues.

He lost a long time customer over a $2-3 box that I offered to pay for.

When I buy on eBay and make a payment I add a note and send a message to please ship in a box with proper packing material. I lost count how many lenses I've received in envelopes without packing. Once I received a APO-Componon in a tyvek envelope without any padding from the UK (I live in California), can you believe that, I still can't :D

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Typestar,

Thank you again for the loaner lens and the idea to test it in the first place. :D
typestar wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:42 am
Robert,
ThankYOU for taking my suggestion and lens into your appreciated testings!
Its great to be part of this community
Thanks also for the nice words of encouragement.
As for the European price- situation or scanner lenses end of 2020:
As for today, the Nikon LS-30 lens still seems the only reasonable priced scanner lens, although some Ebay sellers
ask for high prices now (just checked) for their LS-30
The price for used Nikon ED 4000 / LS-40 / ED 5000 / LS-50 scanners are too expensive in comparison,
today a bad conditioned LS-40 was sold for 370 EUR, a LS-V (50) just ended for 466 EUR --
Okay, if people search for working units for scanning - but not for our goal of disassembling for the lens only.
I wonder if this could be people being at home now with more time on their hands and mentally they are trying to escape to a simpler time before the pandemic, back to the days of film? Prices on film scanners now are just crazy.
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:25 am
Interesting...I bought an LS-20 and it had the same lens in it as the LS-30.
Ray, interesting -- in my LS-20 I found the tiny 25 mm lens – only in a Nikon Coolscan III / LS-30 I found the LS-30 ---
I agree - Nikon’s main emphasis at the film days / scanners was for sure mostly on sensors and software
Thank you for the confirmation, good to know. I want to avoid having to fix my website post {-o<
@For the Nikon LS-50 lens - there is another RAF adapter -- https://rafcamera.com/adapter-m26m-to-24-6mm-id
Personally, I do not like the finish of RAF’s anodizing – but the adapters mechanically work well.
From this up to M42x1 you need another adapter, then…
Noticed that with RafCamera's anodizing. The main problem is a small spot that is also un-anodized. This is due to the hanger or clip used to hold the item. I've toured camera factory anodizing departments in Japan and they also use a wire to hang the items to dunk in various solutions. :lol:
Seems like Thorlabs items are anodized double thick. Lately I've noticed that Raf seems to have ordered a thicker anodizing process also.
The main attraction to Raf is his quick work, good ideas, with great communication and always to spec threads, and of course more than fair prices. All those positives makes the anodizing easy to overlook. :D
All the best to all the appreciated members here --
Best wishes for a better 2021...

typestar / Christian
All the best to you and the family for 2021 Christian!

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

HRobert, that is indeed a shocking response, especially since he contradicts himself by arguing that he shipped hundreds of items without any issues, but also arguing that every tenth package is trashed. Irresponsible and dishonest.

typestar

Post by typestar »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Hi Typestar,
Thank you again for the loaner lens and the idea to test it in the first place. :D
ray_parkhurst wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:25 am
Interesting...I bought an LS-20 and it had the same lens in it as the LS-30.
Ray, interesting -- in my LS-20 I found the tiny 25 mm lens – only in a Nikon Coolscan III / LS-30 I found the LS-30 ---
I agree - Nikon’s main emphasis at the film days / scanners was for sure mostly on sensors and software
Thank you for the confirmation, good to know. I want to avoid having to fix my website post {-o<

All the best to you and the family for 2021 Christian!
It's great to have this huge collection of lens-data, that you provide for all of us.
I just checked again and can confirm: I had 2 cheap Nikon Coolscan II (= LS-20; edit: 1 scanner had the rear plate "LS-20 E")
scanners disassembled in 2019 (and allways keep the frontplate of the case for documentation) - out of both scanners I could pull out the tiny 25 mm lenses.

Thankyou for your wishes for me and the family, dear friend.
I hope for you, that the new year will bring not only further inspiring lens projects
but will bring back good business possibilities and first of all of course: Health and luck!

Christian
Last edited by typestar on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

typestar wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:15 pm

It's great to have this huge collection of lens-data, that you provide for all of us.
I just checked again and can confirm: I had 2 cheap Nikon Coolscan II (= LS-20) scanners disassembled in 2019
(and allways keep the frontplate of the case for documentation) - out of both scanners I could pull out the tiny 25 mm lenses.
No editing needed :D perfect, thank you for the confirmation.

For others that I have not been to the SN38mm page, I should mention that I have all the Nikon scanner lens and film scanner info posted and also a list of scanners and prices paid in 2020. I was shocked to see how many scanner lenses I bought this year, especially considering I have not been working!
Thankyou for your wishes for me and the family, dear friend.
I hope for you, that the new year will bring not only further inspiring lens projects
but will bring back good business possibilities and first of all of course: Health and luck!

Christian
Thank you!

Best,

Robert

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:49 am
RobertOToole wrote:
viktor j nilsson wrote:

Hi Viktor,

To stop the lens angle from slightly shifting I used some plastic shims (cut to size) that I received as free samples from a shim company, I need to find the details so I can share that, I found the right thickness to tighten up the clamp on each side so no movement was possible when the lens was clamped down straight in the mount.

Raf emailed me last night, he is going to make a new adapter with a deeper clamp, female 24.6mm to male M42 x 1 with a through hole, not a stop, and 3 set screws. If anyone in the US wants one, let me know and I can have an extra unit shipped in my box.

Best,

Robert

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

RobertOToole wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Raf emailed me last night, he is going to make a new adapter with a deeper clamp, female 24.6mm to male M42 x 1 with a through hole, not a stop, and 3 set screws. If anyone in the US wants one, let me know and I can have an extra unit shipped in my box.

Best,

Robert
Robert, which of the LS? lenses will this adapter mount please? LS-50? (having just ordered one in the UK).

Thanks

John

viktor j nilsson

Post by viktor j nilsson »

RobertOToole wrote:
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:49 am
RobertOToole wrote:

Hi Viktor,

To stop the lens angle from slightly shifting I used some plastic shims (cut to size) that I received as free samples from a shim company, I need to find the details so I can share that, I found the right thickness to tighten up the clamp on each side so no movement was possible when the lens was clamped down straight in the mount.

Best,

Robert

I just had a look at my "24.6mm" adapter. Indeed, there is a slight amount of play when the set screw is loose. It is very very slight, though.

When I measure my 7 element lens with a vernier calipers, it is pretty spot on 24.6mm.

I measure the ID of the RAF adapter to between 24.75mm-24.80mm, so it definately hasn't been made entirely to spec. Worst case scenario, the lens will shift 0.10mm away from perfect centration when mounted (0.20mm difference in diameter/2). At these low magnifications, I would be surprised if this had any noticable effect. I can't discern any tilt. The set screw is so close to the base of the lens that I expect that it will only be push the lens against the opposite wall, which is straight and true.

Still, it's not a perfect adapter. My M5400 RAF adapter is just about perfect.

The new adapter does seems ideal in every way, though. Would take away the need for the M26-M42 adapter in my setup.

Best,
Viktor

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

dolmadis wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am
RobertOToole wrote:

Best,

Robert
Robert, which of the LS? lenses will this adapter mount please? LS-50? (having just ordered one in the UK).

Thanks

John
45mm f/2.8

found in the:
Coolscan IV ED LS-40 ED
Coolscan V ED LS-50 ED
Super Coolscan 4000 ED LS-4000ED
Super Coolscan 5000 ED LS-5000ED

Looks like this, the one on the right.
Nikon-Coolscan-LS-scanner-lens-lineup-LS10-LS30-LS50-www-Closeuphotography-com.jpg

RobertOToole

Post by RobertOToole »

Hi Viktor,
viktor j nilsson wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:20 am

When I measure my 7 element lens with a vernier calipers, it is pretty spot on 24.6mm.
Believe I measured something like 24.58 minimum and 24.60 at the widest point. The two ends have different outer diameters! At least on my two samples.
I measure the ID of the RAF adapter to between 24.75mm-24.80mm, so it definately hasn't been made entirely to spec. Worst case scenario, the lens will shift 0.10mm away from perfect centration when mounted (0.20mm difference in diameter/2). At these low magnifications, I would be surprised if this had any noticable effect. I can't discern any tilt. The set screw is so close to the base of the lens that I expect that it will only be push the lens against the opposite wall, which is straight and true.
You are probably right, I'm sure it wont make a difference in the image. When I testing that lens even having it slightly off would bother me, so I used shims for peace of mind :D
Still, it's not a perfect adapter. My M5400 RAF adapter is just about perfect.
Great. I got a box of almost a dozen adapters rom Raf a couple of weeks ago and all, except for one, fit perfectly. I was really happy to see that. 8)

Best,

Robert

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Lou Jost wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:50 am
On my A7r4 the Laowa 100mm and the 2,5-5x replaced all the scanner lens and special lenses, much easier to handle and having an aperture to be closed if necessary.
For me too, the Laowa 2.5x-5x is usually the lens I turn to for ordinary FF work, especially for deep subjects or live subjects. I really like it, especially at the lower end of its magnification range. Being able to change the magnification to precisely fill the frame is a large advantage that makes up for the small loss in quality compared to more complex set-ups. It is so easy, and the working distance is also good. One of my best lens investments. For end-use publication at a size of 15cm or less, the image quality is indistinguishable from the better but more complicated set-ups.

On the other hand, if I am looking for poster quality for a special image, especially at magnifications between 4x and 5x,and if the subject is not going to wilt during a long stack, it pays to use a more specialized lens or objective combo.
This is a bit of an eye opener for me, though I am not surprised given that the 60mm is one of my favorite walk-around macro lenses. I was not aware the 2.5-5x lens was such a strong performer.

What is the working distance for this lens at 2.5x and 5x?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic