Trinocular stereoscope + cellphone

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Saul

Trinocular stereoscope + cellphone

Post by Saul »

Looking for the information/ideas how to connect (optically) cellphone to the top port (C) of the Scienscope NZ-BD-T3 trinocular stereoscope (not to the eyepiece).

Thanks,
Saul
μ-stuff

Scarodactyl

Re: Trinocular stereoscope + cellphone

Post by Scarodactyl »

You just need to mount a viewing eyepiece at the right height--since a cell phone has a lens on it afocal is about your only option. This model has an m26x0.5 thread on the trinocular port, and the primary image is far enough above for direct projection onto a dslr, so adapting on an eyepiece shouldn't be too hard. A 3d printer would make it easier but they might have a native option for an eyepiece tube adapter as well.
As a side-note, I had one of these and found it took eye muscle effort to converge the image, which is not normal for me on stereos. Have you had a similar experience, or did I perhaps have a bad copy?

Saul

Post by Saul »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:02 pm
You just need to mount a viewing eyepiece at the right height--since a cell phone has a lens on it afocal is about your only option. This model has an m26x0.5 thread on the trinocular port, and the primary image is far enough above for direct projection onto a dslr, so adapting on an eyepiece shouldn't be too hard. A 3d printer would make it easier but they might have a native option for an eyepiece tube adapter as well.
Thanks Stephen !
Will it cover full screen ? Or just circle ?
As a side-note, I had one of these and found it took eye muscle effort to converge the image, which is not normal for me on stereos. Have you had a similar experience, or did I perhaps have a bad copy?
It was no problem (did not play too much, received microscope today only)

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

It covers aps-c but with a bit of flare and edge shading due to the design of the trinoc port (edge shading could probably be mitigated by rotating the camera 90 degrees). Wasn't super happy with image quality, though I have been thoroughly spoiled by name brand stereos.
I did a little writeup over here http://www.microbehunter.com/microscopy ... 24&t=10661

Saul

Post by Saul »

Scarodactyl wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:58 pm
It covers aps-c but with a bit of flare and edge shading due to the design of the trinoc port (edge shading could probably be mitigated by rotating the camera 90 degrees). Wasn't super happy with image quality, though I have been thoroughly spoiled by name brand stereos.
I did a little writeup over here http://www.microbehunter.com/microscopy ... 24&t=10661
Great post. Looks like, using cellphone, it will not cover full frame. I'm not looking for the very good quality in this case, just speed .
Saul
μ-stuff

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Oh yeah. With a typical cellphone I don't think it would be possible to fill the frame. Even bausch and lomb 15x ultrawide eyepieces (apparent FN ~30mm) will have significant vignetting with afocal. Maybe some of thr newer ones with a telephoto lens?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic