Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Glad to see them landing in Europe. My past experience shipping there wasn't great during the virus. A lens too almost 2 months to land in the hands of the buyer.

To America's USPS: Please stop treating these envelopes like your step child! (Hope this joke isn't out of bounds, if it is, please get rid of it)

Meanwhile, I'm keeping a keen eye on the flea markets, I hope these wafers pop up again. Laser cutting might no longer be possible, but with several copies, it would be easy to get a dozen specimens. No more envelope posting this time.

iconoclastica

Post by iconoclastica »

Now I have got mine, having traversed half the globe and still in one piece, I would like to keep it in that condition. I am thinking of sticking it to an object slide. Any advice or experience around?
--- felix filicis ---

physicsmajor

Post by physicsmajor »

Mine has 3 large, long pieces and miscellaneous shrapnel. Another partial casualty to the USPS rollers of doom. I think the larger pieces would fill a 10x frame, though.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

iconoclastica wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:46 am
Now I have got mine, having traversed half the globe and still in one piece, I would like to keep it in that condition. I am thinking of sticking it to an object slide. Any advice or experience around?
Gluing it to a microscope slide is recommended.
You may use superglue, or UV glue which is better. Getting the wafer totally in line with the slide might be a bit difficult, so UV glue is better as you have plenty time to position it.
A method that comes to mine would be placing the slide on some kind of gridded paper.

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

I just got mine. It was left on our front porch yesterday, even though it had been marked as delivered quite a while ago. I assume it was placed in the wrong mail box, and our anonymous neighbor had their own reasons for the delay.
Anyway, it is broken into numerous pieces, but one of them is large enough to be useful :)

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:48 am
You may use superglue, or UV glue which is better. Getting the wafer totally in line with the slide might be a bit difficult, so UV glue is better as you have plenty time to position it....
I was going to try some methyl methacrylate (MMA) adhesive that has a 10 minute pot time since it is somewhat flexible, bonds to glass and needs little to no surface preparation.
– John

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

My shipment not arrived yet, hoping USPS will surprise me....
Vishnu

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Same here, though this type of issue isn't too surprising under present circumstances.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

List of "never received" increased to 3 now, I'll be having a talk with Auspost. Busy this week, next week stuff will loosen up.

I'm not sure how helpful they will be, the previous transaction wasn't at all helpful. I bought the expensive option because of tracking, they never told me it no longer works outside of the country. What's the point of tracking in this case? :evil:

Lou Jost

Post by Lou Jost »

If it is any consolation, I just got a FEDEX package of some fluorescence filters from the US, and they do claim to have international tracking, but the tracking info says that my package is in transit and not available for pickup, though the package had been sitting there for two weeks ready for me to pick it up. So you can't trust the tracking even if it were available. :(

Vish_007

Post by Vish_007 »

USPS delivered, envelope in near pristine condition !!. Chip little bit chipped, but OK
Attachments
Aust_cHIP.jpg
Vishnu

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

=D> That's great, the crack won't matter much.
Certainly far better than Rik's pile of sand :oops:

Auspost quoted 10 days. How long has it been? Glad it arrived though!

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Vish_007 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:45 pm
USPS delivered, envelope in near pristine condition !!. Chip little bit chipped, but OK
Lucky you, mine arrived shattered into over 20 pieces!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Glad to hear another arrived. I'm still holding out hope for mine--even if it's all busted up it should still be a lot of fun to look at.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

For our testing, out of the numerous pieces, it would be good if you can find at least one full "B" segment.

https://flic.kr/p/2jo6NYY

As you can see here, an NA of 0.2 minimum is required to resolve the lines in the "B". There's a lot of other details in that part as well, they show up at higher mag and higher NA.

For the res. chart bit, 20x at 0.7 NA is the minimum. Anything below that renders mush.
The setup is sub-optimal as well, a coverglass is was needed since it wasn't a metallurgical objective.
20x.jpg
There's a myriad of other stuff. Unfortunate. In hindsight, I probably should have just sent out 5 copies and see how it goes. I packed it to take hits and shoving, not death rollers. :smt010

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic