Workflow - New WeMacro Rail

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

bralex

Workflow - New WeMacro Rail

Post by bralex »

I've previously been using in-camera focus bracketing with my Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk II, with stacking on a Win10 computer, but recently picked up a WeMacro rail. All is not well - I'm having a number of different difficulties. The only one I want to ask about in this post is workflow.

I was previously using my computer to control the camera, manually setting the start point. The WeMacro shutter cable uses the data port, so I'm currently just using the LCD on the camera to set up shots.

Question 1: is there any way to use the WeMacro controller to take the shots, but view the setup on the computer? The only workaround I can think of is the camera's MicroHDMI slot and a separate monitor.

Question 2: is there any way to have the photos directly saved to the hard drive? I find using the SD cards cumbersome in comparison - my "stacking" drive is an SSD, so either copying from the SD card to the SSD is extra work, while stacking from the SD card seems somewhat slow, and I still have to save the output to a different location.

I'm looking at switching to RAW from JPEG - that's going to involve an extra step, using Olympus Viewer (ugh) to generate TIFF for Zerene. I'm interested in any suggestions that would smooth that step.

I'm not all down on the WeMacro - I like the fine step control, for example, and I've been playing with - and liking - the iPad app. I'm going to remount it onto a steel plate though - too light! :)

bralex

Post by bralex »

I did find that Olympus Viewer has been superseded by Olympus Workplace - quick impressions are that this is an improvement but I've only got about 20 minutes into it!

Deanimator

Re: Workflow - New WeMacro Rail

Post by Deanimator »

bralex wrote:Question 1: is there any way to use the WeMacro controller to take the shots, but view the setup on the computer? The only workaround I can think of is the camera's MicroHDMI slot and a separate monitor.
That's exactly what I do and it works extremely well.

fotofreak

Post by fotofreak »

I use a Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk II for focus stacking with a Wemacro rail, too. The problem is, that the connector for the remote release and the data transfer is combined in one USB socket (unlike e.g. the EM1 Mk II). Therefore you need a special cable, which splits both ways. If you can`t make your own own one, you can buy it here: https://www.stonemaster-onlineshop.de/z ... 5-mark-ii/
Then you have to use Olympus Capture to control the camera with your PC and to use the Liveview function. With the wemacro software you will controll the rail, the shutters etc. The image files will be transferred to your PC auomatically and usually Olympus Workspace will show you the images immediately (you can choose that).
That is the most comfortable workflow with the EM5 Mk II, the Wemacro rail and one computer.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

This a very useful and helpful post.

Would this cable also be suitable to use as described with an Olympus OMD EM1 Mark 1?

Thank you

John

fotofreak

Post by fotofreak »

Both cameras (EM1 and EM5 II) have the same USB connector (for the remote cable RM-UC1), so it can work. But I'm not sure, so better ask the seller.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Have asked seller who is on holiday until 20 July.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Alternatively does anyone have a schematic for making the cable DIY please?

Thanks

John

fotofreak

Post by fotofreak »

fotofreak wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:36 pm
That is the most comfortable workflow with the EM5 Mk II, the Wemacro rail and one computer.
What I forgot above in the description of the comfortable workflow is the power supply of the camera. Thus, if one does not want to change the battery regularly for recharging, there are two options:
a) Using the Olympus AC-3 adapter. But in order to connect it, one also needs the HDL-8 battery grip. The original AC-3 is not cheap, but you can find cheaper replicas from other manufacturers on the Internet.
b) You can use a BLN-1 dummy, which is directly connected to a power supply via a cable. These dummies are cheaper to get than an original AC-3 adapter and you don't need the battery grip. This also makes the set-up more stable than if the HLD-8 was placed in between the camera and the macro rail.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Hi

The Olympus OMD EM-1 Mk1 has the same multifunctional porting to USB.

This is the cable shop you mentioned.

https://www.stonemaster-onlineshop.de/z ... 5-mark-ii/

The shop offers a stereo or mono 3.5 jack to the WeMacro Control Box. (I hope that is the right interpretation.)

Do you know why the shop offers stereo or mono please?

Do you know which standard WeMacro uses please?

Thanks

John

fotofreak

Post by fotofreak »

If you look at the Wemacro manual (https://drive.google.com/file/d/13h-sBU ... sp=sharing), you will see that Wemacro has a socket for a stereo plug (2.5 mm).

I myself use the split cable from Stonemaster with a 3.5 mono plug, but with an additional adapter from 3.5 to 2.5 stereo (similar this one https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Earpie ... 270&sr=8-7). That works perfectly with Wemacro controller.

I do not know, why Stonemaster offers the split cable with differents plugs, perhaps for different controllers (cinch for Cognyisys Stackshot, 3,5 for the Stonemaster Stackmaster unit?). But since there are adapters available, you can use the cable on different connectors.

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you.

I had not recognised that the jack to the Wemacro Controller was 2.5mm.

So thank you for seeing my misunderstanding and advising on the work around.

Best

John

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

fotofreak wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:36 pm
I use a Olympus OM-D EM5 Mk II for focus stacking with a Wemacro rail, too. The problem is, that the connector for the remote release and the data transfer is combined in one USB socket (unlike e.g. the EM1 Mk II). Therefore you need a special cable, which splits both ways. If you can`t make your own own one, you can buy it here: https://www.stonemaster-onlineshop.de/z ... 5-mark-ii/
Then you have to use Olympus Capture to control the camera with your PC and to use the Liveview function. With the wemacro software you will controll the rail, the shutters etc. The image files will be transferred to your PC auomatically and usually Olympus Workspace will show you the images immediately (you can choose that).
The shop linked to above has kindly tested the cable on an Olympus OMD EM1 MK1 and it works correctly. Thank you for the post which pointed me in that direction.

But can anyone tell me please how to set these cameras to electronic shutter (rather than mechanical shutter) for multiple single shot stacking on a Wemacro rail or any rail.

I can't find the setting and Google has not been my friend this time.

I am sure that it is dead easy so if any other Olympus OMD EM1 user can put me in the right direction I will be happily put out of my current misery !!

BR

John

fotofreak

Post by fotofreak »

It is necessary to activate the Silent Mode on the camera first. Then you can choose the Silent Mode with Olympus Capture, too.
See the image with my settings below. The heart indicates the Silent Mode (I inserted a red arrow there).
OlyCaptureSilent.jpg

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

Thank you very much for your help with this question.

BR

John

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic