Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Re: Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Since they seem to be broken into rather large pieces, I think gluing them back together carefully onto a microscrope slide like a jigsaw puzzle will work. Obviously there's going to be numerous cracks throughout, but I don't think it will be that bad, should still be usable especially for higher mag, >5x.

Really is a shame. Nevertheless, once I get another batch, I'll resend these using standard post.

Tom Jones

Post by Tom Jones »

Oops! :shock: I didn't look very closely when I opened the envelope, and had forgotten it was one chip to start with. They're not quite as bad as Rik's, but nevertheless in 10 pieces!

The envelope didn't look badly damaged, but it's curved a bit like it went through a roller during sorting.

Tom

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Tom Jones wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:52 am
Oops! :shock: I didn't look very closely when I opened the envelope, and had forgotten it was one chip to start with. They're not quite as bad as Rik's, but nevertheless in 10 pieces!

The envelope didn't look badly damaged, but it's curved a bit like it went through a roller during sorting.

Tom
Oh my, 3rd on the list.
I'm gonna guess that all 11 sent to America copies got turned back into sand by USPS' rollers of death.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

My envelope has the same smudge markings as Rik's. Agree this is probably from an automatic sorter or reader.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

JohnDownie

Post by JohnDownie »

The primitive Canada Post system apparently does’t have the equipment to “extrude”. Mine came in four big pieces.

Interesting IGA flyer used for padding - excellent buy on Crumbed Fish Fillets!

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

JohnDownie wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:44 am
The primitive Canada Post system apparently does’t have the equipment to “extrude”. Mine came in four big pieces.

Interesting IGA flyer used for padding - excellent buy on Crumbed Fish Fillets!
4 big pieces... didn't get turned into sand... I suppose that's "better".
Put it back together on a microscope slide. 4 isn't too bad as one chip features 2 identical sections.
I honestly feel both annoyed and pissed at myself. I should have just went with my gut instinct and only offered standard post. It's $25, which is a lot more expensive, but there's no rollers to put the chips back onto the beach.

My friend told me that there might be more wafers to be had, but laser cutting might be out of the equation. What we can do instead is snap it. I'm sure it's possible to get a dozen chips out of several wafers.

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:26 am
... I honestly feel both annoyed and pissed at myself. I should have just went with my gut instinct and only offered standard post. It's $25, which is a lot more expensive, but there's no rollers to put the chips back onto the beach....
Since you have 20mm thickness to work with and have paid for, how about entombing the chips inside a thick, stiff, covered cavity? If you make the envelope thick enough, it may have to be hand processed.
– John

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

jfiresto wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:23 pm
Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:26 am
... I honestly feel both annoyed and pissed at myself. I should have just went with my gut instinct and only offered standard post. It's $25, which is a lot more expensive, but there's no rollers to put the chips back onto the beach....
Since you have 20mm thickness to work with and have paid for, how about entombing the chips inside a thick, stiff, covered cavity? If you make the envelope thick enough, it may have to be hand processed.
That will most likely not work. Auspost will scan these stuff and if it looks like anything other than documents (which it is not), they just return it to the sender. Many times, the PO won't even accept the envelope. I thought about using a microscope case, but that's asking to be caught (plastic).

Seems like Europe recipients won't have to worry about shattered wafers.

jfiresto

Post by jfiresto »

Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:47 am
jfiresto wrote:
... How about entombing the chips inside a thick, stiff, covered cavity?...
That will most likely not work. Auspost will scan these stuff and if it looks like anything other than documents (which it is not), they just return it to the sender....
It was just a thought along with "Photographs – DO NOT BEND". The German Post has also been playing games with letter class to force people to send goods as considerably more expensive, oversized parcels.
– John

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

jfiresto wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:18 am
Macro_Cosmos wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:47 am
jfiresto wrote:
... How about entombing the chips inside a thick, stiff, covered cavity?...
That will most likely not work. Auspost will scan these stuff and if it looks like anything other than documents (which it is not), they just return it to the sender....
It was just a thought along with "Photographs – DO NOT BEND". The German Post has also been playing games with letter class to force people to send goods as considerably more expensive, oversized parcels.
Yeah it's annoying. "Do not bend" marked on probably won't work either... I'm pretty sure they will just assume by bend, I meant "folding", which the rollers well, roll. Photos won't really be affected.
Oh well, learned my lesson. USPS is nasty and don't send wafers as letters!

lothman

Post by lothman »

jfiresto wrote:
but Deutsch Post has something like "Warenpost International" which allows goods. All the boxed test wafers I sent in February/March arrived well. To hope the something brittle like a waver without a box will survive shipping without damage is a little bit blue-eyed.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

lothman wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:22 am
jfiresto wrote:
but Deutsch Post has something like "Warenpost International" which allows goods. All the boxed test wafers I sent in February/March arrived well. To hope the something brittle like a waver without a box will survive shipping without damage is a little bit blue-eyed.
It used to be allowed in Australia, but not anymore.
All the wafers sent to Europe survived, the ones sent to America didn't unfortunately.

Either way, it was a massive oversight and I'll try to get more send out. Those individual pieces are still good to use but they are sharp and can no longer be used for lower magnifications.

chuong nguyen

Post by chuong nguyen »

The chip came to California in two long pieces. Not ideal but workable. Thanks for the time and efforts.

Chuong Nguyen

Monkeyhanger

Post by Monkeyhanger »

Shot of the test wafer which arrived intact-thanks Royal Mail. :)
Taken with Nikon 10x that I bought from Robert on this forum.I am a newbie to extreme macro and just getting to grips with the technical details.
So far I am pleased with my results and will strive to improve.
_DSC3875-Edit-4.jpg

Sven

Post by Sven »

I received mine today. It managed to pass through the danish mail in one piece. I am very pleased and looking forward to test my macro studio,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic