Optiphot turret objective centering wrench

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Optiphot turret objective centering wrench

Post by Smokedaddy »

Figured I'd test the upload picture feature of the new software upgrade and share some information with those interested as well. Since a centering hex wrench is impossible to find nowadays I figured I'd make my own. Trouble is I wasn't able to accurately measure the hex shaft on my Optiphot since it's recessed in the bore. Instead I made a mold (so to speak) and narrowed down the possible size of the hex. Not knowing the expansion rate I knew it was in between 2mm and 1.27mm. When I tried those I purchased cap screws and had to turn down the head diameter to 3mm so they would fit the bore in the turret. Unfortunately neither fit the hex. I figured the next option was to try something different. After searching McMaster I found a SET SCREW that had a diameter of 3mm so I wouldn't need to machine the diameter since there isn't a head on a cap screw, PLUS it the hex was 1.5mm ... sweet. Another plus was it was long enough to use with my fingers and wouldn't necessarily need a handle (but I will machine one for kicks someday). So IF anyone of you have a Optiphot centering turret and don't have the wrench this works flawlessly. IF you wanted a handle you can always find pre-made knobs on McMaster and I assume with the proper thread for the set screw. Of course if you have a 3D printer you can design something yourself and epoxy the set screw in the knob/handle. I figured I might as well show some pictures even though you only need to know is a M3 x 0.5mm x 16mm long grub screw works perfectly on my Optiphot. Some may say why not buy a micro nut driver, well I couldn't find one for a 1.5mm hex and a outside diameter of 3mm. If I could have found one, then I'd buy it. You can also buy that particular set screw on eBay a lot cheaper than McMaster. I think I saw them under 2 bucks for a dozen or so. ACE Hardware might have them too. They were 65 cents each at the ACE near my home.
Attachments
2020-06-17_14-49-46.jpg
20200618_151613.jpg
20200618_151128.jpg
2020-06-16_15-42-38.jpg
1280-20200613_211611.jpg

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Optiphot turret objective centering wrench

Post by rjlittlefield »

I see you got the image upload to work. That pleases me.

Thanks for the details about your machining.

One question: exactly what is the thing shown in image #3? It gather that it's some sort of handle, but I'm unclear how it relates to everything else.

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

... image three was my cap screw attempt. I turned down the head of the cap screw on my lathe to 3mm, then machined a handle/knob/wrench for it figuring for sure that it would work. <duh> At that point in time, I thought the hex inside the turret was 1.27mm (0.050") based on my mold and ImageJ measurement. I was just showing the useless work I did making the knob and turning down the cap screw (that has a 1.27mm hex in it).

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Got it, I think.

So then is image #2 the rough equivalent, but using one of your new screws with a 1.5 mm recess?

--Rik

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Yes, but the set screw is long enough that you really don't need any sort of a handle or knob.

-JW:

elf

Post by elf »

Nice to see you got the problem sorted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic