Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

23 envelopes... this is really going to be the most handwriting I've done since I've taken an exam at uni.

:lol: I shall use the coffee bean tips and brew something up, time to get working! Thanks! :lol: :lol:

dolmadis

Post by dolmadis »

I remember at work one time all of the messaging systems went down and I had to send a handwritten urgent note to the MD.........it was strange to be writing.....and my hand cramped.

Thanks for doing this for us.

BR

john

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I'm in the middle of packing and writing addresses. Getting busy here, so 5 envelopes a day.

I will be sending a PM asking to verify the addresses etc. Please respond if there's a problem or if it's good to go.

The PM consist of copy paste greeting, contents, and a photo of the envelope. Tracking is also shown on the envelope, please take note of it.

The wafer chip is in a ziplock bag, it will be taped to some hard paper, and then wrapped in junk mail ads. Looks and feels like a document to me! :)

Once the address is verified, I'll send it out as soon as possible. So the earlier one verifies it, the earlier it's sent out.

I'm doing 5 a day, so it's also 5 PMs a day as well. Please bear with me here. I appreciate the patience.

Thanks! MC

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

3 more to go! Took a break and went on some astrolandscape trips recently, sorry for the delay.

1 out of the rest have not yet confirmed the address. I have checked it and it's correct, it will be sent out this Saturday regardless.

Time for the second part of my username... and some off-topic...ness. Hopefully this flies with the admins :wink:

Bigger version on my flickr.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Beautiful images. Compared to the solar system, we are macro :D

Thanks for all the effort in getting these chips out to us, I really appreciate this!!

Cheers mate,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

No worries -- a great demo of what infinity looks like, the better for setting focus with tube lenses. :wink:

--Rik

dmillard

Post by dmillard »

Breathtaking images - thank you for sharing!

Pau
Site Admin

Re: Test wafer distribution: Many features, includes res chart

Post by Pau »

I've just received the wafer sample. Thank you.
Under the stereo it looks very promising.
As you said it's a bit dirty, are absolute ethanol and lens paper tissue good to clean it?
Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Pau wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:09 am
I've just received the wafer sample. Thank you.
Under the stereo it looks very promising.
As you said it's a bit dirty, are absolute ethanol and lens paper tissue good to clean it?
Yeah I used alcohol and q-tips, works great. Tissue might not be the best since there's tiny fibres.
Wafers are good because they are unpackaged. Those silicon chips already have some kind of coating finish making contrast exceptionally low... that's using coaxial epi-illumination of course.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Unfortunately mine did not survive shipping. These things really do not like to be bent.

IMG_6374.jpg

Looks like the pieces are large enough to work with, anyway.

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Mine didn't survive either, broken into about 20 pieces.

Best,
Attachments
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_3532.jpg
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

In my case, the envelope shows clear evidence of having been run through some sort of roller feed, typical of high speed sorting systems.

You can see smudge marks just above the gray block of the signature, plus crinkling all along the bottom edge of the envelope.

IMG_6375.jpg

Aside from postage rate considerations, there are practical reasons why these flexible envelopes are supposed to be used only for shipping documents.

--Rik

jmc

Post by jmc »

Ouch to some of the images above.

Mine arrived today to the UK thanks - survived the trip.
20200702_094233 microscope chip small.jpg
Jonathan Crowther

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Likely the wafer destroyer machine is located at the USPS facilities.

Silicon shows good orthogonal cleavage, very well presented at mawyatt's sample
Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Eeeeeeeeek, that's so sad to see. Nasty! :evil: :evil:
I had absolutely no idea they'd abuse the envelope so much. Public transport cards and credit cards with the tap function are usually sent in an envelope here too... but then those cards aren't as brittle.

According to my list, a dozen copies were sent to the USA. This is going to be a bigger headache. If I knew these rollers exist, I would have opted for the more expensive standard post.

There should be more copies out there. When I receive another batch, I'll send another copy out to those who received sharp shattered shards if possible. I'll get one of those small microscope slide plastic cases to protect them. They can't be had locally, would have to get them from China.

Send me a PM if yours turned back into sand, include a pic too.

Please be careful, these things are incredibly sharp.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic