Critter Mix

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Dalantech

Critter Mix

Post by Dalantech »

I bought a kit so I could raise a few Swallowtail Butterflies (Papilio machaon) and this is a frame with the Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens set to 1x.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (1x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order.

ImageSwallowtail Butterfly at Life Size by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I used a syringe to inject Agave Nectar into a flower so this Honeybee would have a reason to let me get close.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/100, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (under 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order. I dragged the shutter to expose for the natural light in the background, and used the flash to freeze the subject.

ImageFeeding Honeybee II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

I found this Honeybee in an orange tree cleaning her proboscis. Really tricky shooting a moving subject at about 2.5x and getting the plane of focus where it needs to be. Lots of deleted frames. This is the only shot I could get of her wiping off her proboscis. It's difficult to time it due to the lag in pressing the shutter release all the way. I had to wait until her leg was at the end of her proboscis and then take the shot.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (about 2.5x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order.

ImageHoneybee Maintenance II by John Kimbler, on Flickr

There wasn't enough wind so this Sweat Bee felt me grab onto the stem of the Sourgrass Flower that it was foraging in and climbed to the top of it to investigate. But when it did it was facing away from me. So I carefully turned the flower so that the critter was facing the camera. Gotta be gentle, cause I didn't want to spook the bee into taking off and I didn't want to damage the flower. I managed to get the shot and leave the Sourgrass unharmed.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (3x) + a diffused MT-26EX-RT with a Kaiser adjustable flash shoe on the "A" head (the key), E-TTL metering, -1/3 FEC, second curtain sync). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order.

ImageSweat Bee in a Sourgrass Flower V by John Kimbler, on Flickr

This European Blue Mason Bee emerging from its cocoon is my post for World Bee Day (May 20th 2020). Osmia Caerulescens, male.

Tech Specs: Canon 80D (F11, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (over 2x) + a diffused MT-26EX RT (E-TTL metering with -1/3 FEC). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held. In post I used Topaz Denoise AI, Sharpen AI, and Clarity in that order.

ImageEmerging Blue Mason Bee XII by John Kimbler, on Flickr

BugEZ

Post by BugEZ »

Great photos and narrative!

Keith

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

BugEZ wrote:Great photos and narrative!

Keith
Thanks Keith!

Regards,
John

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

All first rate! It is fun raising out lepidopterans. You can raise giant silk moths too...
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/indexos.htm
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

Dalantech

Post by Dalantech »

MarkSturtevant wrote:All first rate! It is fun raising out lepidopterans. You can raise giant silk moths too...
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/indexos.htm
Thanks!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic