Affinity Photo

A forum to ask questions, post setups, and generally discuss anything having to do with photomacrography and photomicroscopy.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Affinity Photo

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,

Does anybody use this software?

I’m asking for that because I have just bought that (because of the 50% discount :-) and already run some tests.

Unfortunately I haven't found any interesting feature up to now; supposedly the retouching should be good but I cannot deal with :-(

BR, ADi

microcollector

Post by microcollector »

I couple of years ago I tried on an Acer gaming laptop that worked well with Zerene Stacker. The stacking using Affinity was painfully slow.
micro minerals - the the unseen beauty of the mineral kingdom
Canon T5i with Canon 70 - 200 mm f4L zoom as tube lens set at 200mm, StacK Shot rail, and Mitutoyo 5X or 10X M plan apo objectives.

My Mindat Mineral Photos
http://www.mindat.org/user-362.html#2

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

OK, but I’m interested in retouching only.

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

microcollector wrote:I couple of years ago I tried on an Acer gaming laptop that worked well with Zerene Stacker. The stacking using Affinity was painfully slow.
I ran a bunch of tests with it on macOS some time ago and it is pretty close to the same stack time as zerene for me. I recall that when the feature was in beta it was unbearable slow, but that got fixed in the beta process.

I use it for general retouching and raster editing these days. All the functionality that I tend to use is there.

Roka

iPad version

Post by Roka »

I use my iPad as my main device. I have a Mac but it rarely gets used. That said I use Affinity Photo for iPad for stacking and some editing. It’s definitely not a speed demon but it beats dragging out my Mac just to stack.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hello Steven,
I use it for general retouching and raster editing these days. All the functionality that I tend to use is there.
could please give me some examples of the retouching?
Any special feature better than appropriate one in the PS or GIMP ?

BR, ADi

TheLostVertex

Post by TheLostVertex »

Adalbert wrote:Hello Steven,
could please give me some examples of the retouching?
Any special feature better than appropriate one in the PS or GIMP ?

BR, ADi
For cloning, healing, and inpainting all work about the same for each of that applications. Apply image function is about the same for each app, but the UI seems slightly more clear in AP to me. AP has a built in frequency separation filter, so there isnt a need for a separate action like in PS. On macOS AP is more responsive in general for me than PS, though I do not know about how the two apps feel on windows. The selection tools in PS are better than AP, but AP's selection tools are pretty decent.

Those are about the only general thoughts I have on my use of the apps for retouching. If you had a specific workflow maybe I could try to offer my thoughts.

Also, I believe they have a 30 day trial on their website, so just using it on some photos is the best way to see if something works for you.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic