Problems with image quaily photomicrographs.

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Antoni Scott

Problems with image quaily photomicrographs.

Post by Antoni Scott »

I have an Olympus Trinoc BH2 with a Nikon D5500 24MP small sensor camera using the AmScope 050 C-mount lens. My images are not that good, not good at all. They look soft and I have no idea why ? I tried eveything. The image wont even focus sharply in the camera but looks sharp when I look through the trinoc tube and the viewing eyepiece. I suspect it might be the camera (no proof). Has anyone on this Forum used a Nikon D500 ? Anyone experience a similar problem ?
I even bought a microscope camera 5MP and 18MP AmScope but did not think it took good pictures,

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Hi Antoni, welcome aboard!

To give relevant advice we need more info, please post details and pictures of your setup and at least one sample image showing the IQ issues.

You may have several things wrong,
- 0.5X is meant for 1" sensors, for APSC the relay magnification must be around 1.6X to 2X
- C mount cameras have the sensor much closer to the mount than Nikon DSLRs
- Olympus 160 objectives do need compensating eyepieces to complete the objective aberrations corrections. The original right approach is with NFK projective eyepieces. The NFK 1.6X is rare (=expensive), the 2.5X is much more usual although it will crop the image too much for my taste. Another approach is with a 10X WHK eyepiece and a 40mm or 50mm camera lens over it (afocal system)
- Depending of the camera coupling and settings you may have vibration blur

NOTE: After you read this I will move the post to the Equipment Discussions forum where it will be better placed
Pau

Ichthyophthirius

Post by Ichthyophthirius »

Hi Antoni,

I agree with the points Pau made. You're using the C-mount adapter out of spec.

Could you post some pictures of your setup, including the C-mount camera, and a sample picture? Do you have resources to change the setup and if so, would you rather change the camera or the adapter + optics? Can you make custom parts or 3D-print?

You can check for vibrations by taking an exposure series e.g. 1/200s, 1/20s, 1/2s, 2s (reduce illumination as you increase exposure) and comparing the results.

You can get an idea of the kind of images you could get by taking your camera, attaching a 50 mm lens and taking some images through the eyepieces, handheld or with a tripod. Take care not to scratch your camera lens.

There is a great website dedicated to this:
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... scope.html
http://www.alanwood.net/photography/oly ... scope.html

Regards, Ichty

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic