Ryzen 9 3900X or Core i9-9900K for stacking ?

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Adalbert

Ryzen 9 3900X or Core i9-9900K for stacking ?

Post by Adalbert »

Hello everybody,
Now, I would like to assemble a computer for the stacking, because I have a lot of free time :-)
Does anybody know which processor performs better with LR and Zerene?
As far as I know Intel is better for the apps which use the single core and AMD better for the multi core.
BTW, https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... -i9-9900k/
Thank you in advance.
BR, ADi

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

Adobe Photoshop values single core performance, making a 9900k the good choice, I would guess LR follows.

However, you definitely will have more than a couple apps running. Maybe even 10+ chrome slides. The cheaper 3900x becomes the sweeter choice in this situation. You can put the savings towards more RAM, or even PCIE 4.0... I dream of such ssd speeds.

I searched the keyword core on ZS website:
http://zerenesystems.com/cms/?do=search&id=core
Why use it?
Zerene Stacker has several advantages over other commonly used stacking programs:

Highest quality output images, especially in difficult cases
Accurate and robust alignment and interpolation
Advanced stacking algorithms
Clean handling of hairs and bristles – no halos or contour lines
Preserves low contrast detail and avoids “stacking mush” with deep stacks
Fast and flexible retouching makes it easy to combine the best features of multiple algorithms as well as original frames
Retouching supported by all versions, even at the lowest price
Supports 8- and 16-bit input and output files
Can generate stereo and 3-D rocking animations from a single stack, even for difficult subjects with structural overlaps and bristles.
Fully utilizes modern multi-core processors and multi-processor computers
Runs on all major computer systems: Microsoft Windows®, Macintosh OS X®, Linux®.
So my assumption would be that ZS is optimised for multi-core processors. This makes the 3900x (you may level up by getting the 3950x even! 8) ) suitable.

In general, unless you want to play the newest graphically intense video games at maximum graphics, I don't see a good reason to get the 9900k, especially for productivity. You'd also want a good graphics card for gaming, namely the 2080ti for that 9900k, but we're talking about stacking here.

So I recommend the 3900X. You won't see much of a difference with LR, regardless to my deduction from PS.

I usually use Capture One to delete the extra OOF frames, then use manufacturer's software to make tiff files and drop them in ZS for stacking. C1 moves the deleted files to a trash folder, this allows me to set Nikon's horrible software to read the file with the frames I want for conversion.

Hope this helps.

Adalbert

Post by Adalbert »

Hi Macro_Cosmos,

Many thanks for the hints!

For Ryzen I have already selected the following components:
case: Corsair Obsidian 450D
power: Corsair RMx RM750x 750W ATX 2.4
mainboard: ASUS Prime X570-P
cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 12x 3.80GHz, boxed
cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i PRO RGB
ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro CMW64GX4M2D3600C18