Zhongyi (Mitakon) Super Macro Lens (1 - 5x)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Thanks, I saw his review(s)... Not super strong. Maybe I'll just look for a 2x objective...

Ultima_Gaina

Post by Ultima_Gaina »

dhmiller wrote:Thanks, I saw his review(s)... Not super strong. Maybe I'll just look for a 2x objective...
The working distance of this one is huuuge! The laws of physics dictate that there must be a compromise somewhere to compensate for this advantage.
Anyway, as I said, the quality is not too bad.
But again, as seen on my test, for magnifications of 4x or more, microscope objectives are the way to go, if IQ takes precedence over flexibility.

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Makes sense. I have a 1x and the Laowa at 2.5 and was just looking for something in between. So maybe a 2x objective is what I really need.

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Objectives in that mag range are hampered by their need to be parfocal with higher mag objectives, so tend to be expensive and also not that great vs other options. Probably worth sorting through one of the shootoffs in this price range to see if there's an enlarger or industrial lens that would give better results for your buck.

dickb

Post by dickb »

dhmiller wrote:Thanks, I saw his review(s)... Not super strong. Maybe I'll just look for a 2x objective...
Indeed. There may well be circumstances in which the lens is very useful, if you need long working distances and are able to control the light carefully. The fact that this brand released such a bad version 1 lens doesn't inspire confidence.

For 2x the Tominon 35/4.5 and Canon MP 35/2.8 may be decent options.

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Thanks, Dick. (Nikon guy). I'll have a look. My 1:1 Sigma with the D850 probably gives me a decent alternative in some cases.

JKT

Post by JKT »

Canon MP 35/2.8 is a bellows lens and doesn't care what camera you have. :)

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Ok - don't know those models, but will give it a look. Thanks again.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

dhmiller

Post by dhmiller »

Thanks, Mike, Should have known that would be there. ;-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic