Automated Stack & Stitch System Robots

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Smokedaddy wrote:As usual I wasn't clear in my question. For example, how do you quantify that you've actually made a 5 micron step on the rail.
Ahh, sorry for misinterpreting...

For full steps, you can pretty much count on the steps being accurate per the calculated values, within the tolerance of the motor specifications.

As long as the system is set up to drive sufficient current through the motor windings, quarter steps will also be fairly accurate.

I think Rik has developed a method for quantifying actual movements, and has published some work on this. Perhaps he'll point us to some older threads where as I remember he quantified the steps of a StackShot.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks, I was wondering if some sort of mechanical device would be used like a dial indicator. Rik will have some sort of scientific mathematical way of explaining it that I won't understand so I don't want to waste his time.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

For ballpark $100 you can buy a manual dial indicator with 1 micron tick marks. Substantially more with an electronic interface so you don't have to manually transcribe the measurements.

Or if you already have high mag optics and Zerene Stacker, you can use the substantially more precise method described here:

"Tiny focus steps: how to make them, how to measure them", http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=11519

Same technique used at http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/v ... hp?t=27549 .

The analysis is simpler now, since Zerene Stacker can export the alignment info to a spreadsheet compatible file.

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

rjlittlefield wrote: The analysis is simpler now, since Zerene Stacker can export the alignment info to a spreadsheet compatible file.

--Rik
Rik,

Is this spreadsheet file directly available from Zerene?

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mawyatt wrote:Is this spreadsheet file directly available from Zerene?
Yes, via File > Save Other > Save Registration Parameters. It's a text file with tabs as field separators.

--Rik

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

rjlittlefield wrote:
mawyatt wrote:Is this spreadsheet file directly available from Zerene?
Yes, via File > Save Other > Save Registration Parameters. It's a text file with tabs as field separators.

--Rik
Great, thanks!!

Best,

Rik,

This is a really nice added feature of Zerene! :D

I was able to bring the .txt file into Excel and display various graphs of X, Y, Scale and Rotation parameters! :)

Here's an example I just got by restacking a section of a Automated XYZ S&S session with Alignments ON.

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

Be careful when purchasing the round types. Their screw holes are not spaced the same as the square ones and require a custom adapter.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic