Sectioning / wafering saw blade wobble

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Bob-O-Rama

Sectioning / wafering saw blade wobble

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

I finally got around to fixing an old Buhler IsoMet sectioning saw with a bad fiber gear, one of the small models with 4" blades. There is a very slight wobble in the blades as it saws. Its not visible, but you can hear the saw "singing" differently and you can feel on the side of the blade perhaps a 0.1mm wobble. Is this "normal?" Its been 30 years since using one last, so I forget what "good enough" is like for these. I have a couple new-in-box wafering blades and Harbor Freight one I have been using as a crash test dummy. All have the same wobble. So I think its in the arbor.

This is using the coarse el-cheapo brand blade cutting through a 1/4" vanadium steel socket extension. The surface feels smooth and satiny and is very true.

Part way through a 0.5mm section.

So is the wobble worth trying to fix? Or is this normal?

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

I have a Mark V micrometer sectioning saw similar to your IsoMet (I think). I was planning on running some tests this weekend but I am out of cooling liquid. Does your unit use cutting coolant/Liquid? Does anyone know what cutting liquid is typically made out of? Aqueous or non aqueous?

I will run a new blade for short time on some steel and see if it wobbles...

Paleophil

Post by Paleophil »

houstontx wrote:I have a Mark V micrometer sectioning saw similar to your IsoMet (I think). I was planning on running some tests this weekend but I am out of cooling liquid. Does your unit use cutting coolant/Liquid? Does anyone know what cutting liquid is typically made out of? Aqueous or non aqueous?

I will run a new blade for short time on some steel and see if it wobbles...
Hi
Water is a minimum. Water with soluble oil is the right method.
Have. a nice day,
Phil

Bob-O-Rama

Post by Bob-O-Rama »

Yeah, it has a small tray.

For playing around you can use concentrated / undiluted radiator fluid, which is ethylene or propylene glycol, and dillute slightly to get that 80/20 ratio. It actually works pretty well. Keep dogs and cats away.

-- Bob

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Ok I do have some semi grade ethylene glycol. Will give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks,

houstontx

Post by houstontx »

Hi yes I can confirm my sectioning unit also has a slight side to side woble which is maintained at all speeds. This is with a new 6" blade installed. I would say the wobble is more than 0.1mm maybe 0.5mm at least just by eyeballing it. I wonder if it averages out over time as to not affect the final cut?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic