Silicon, meet silica

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Beatsy

Silicon, meet silica

Post by Beatsy »

A flat-lit "first draft" to see what it looks like (everything inside a ping-pong ball diffuser). A work in progress, local accent light being constructed now, but happy with this as first go (50x Mitty at 33x onto APS-C).

Dead easy and fast to construct on my latest setup too, just 30 mins! But that's a conversation for another thread. Later...

grgh

Post by grgh »

Reminds me of an Alien Code message that we can not yet read.

I do find that the background distracts a little, the I go back to it and seems appropriate for the subjects.

What i am saying is nice shots, lighting could do with more work, overall i like it.
used to do astronomy.
and photography.
Zeiss Universal Phase contrast.
Zeiss PMII
B&L stereo zoom.

Olympusman

Silica

Post by Olympusman »

Interesting image, Beatsy. Haven't seen you for a while. Isn't it interesting that we carbon-based life forms coexist with silica (glass) based life forms. What a planet.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

abpho

Post by abpho »

I love that look. The movie Metropolis comes to mind with those colours. Thank you.
I'm in Canada! Isn't that weird?

Beatsy

Post by Beatsy »

abpho wrote:I love that look. The movie Metropolis comes to mind with those colours. Thank you.
Rumbled! Haha. A cityscape is the next iteration. A few chip tracks as streets, stacked up diatoms, radiolaria etc as "buildings" lining those streets, then a low angle, deep stack with a skylike background. Should look the biz. Different at least - and so gloriously, utterly pointless, it just MUST be done! :D

But constructing tall stacks of centric diatoms is proving tricky (as expected). Main issue being securing the forms - but I'm on it. I think.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic