Orthoplan Focus Mechanism

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Rainowman

Orthoplan Focus Mechanism

Post by Rainowman »

I have encountered a technical problem with my Orthoplan focussing mechanism. In the middle of a session the coarse focus control suddenly became stiff almost to the point of being seized.

I have stripped the components down and removed the focus assembly but I have hit snags. I have removed the screws from either end of the fine focus knobs but they will not withdraw even though they rotate freely. I have removed the retaining bolt which retains the shaft of gears linking the worm drive with the coarse focus knobs but it will only withdraw about 2mm.

Also there are plates either side of the mechanism with red paint 'seals' on them which I am reluctant to undo without knowing where I am heading.

Has anybody any knowledge or experience of this problem or suggestions as to how I can dismantle the mechanism to get at the main shaft bearing, which I suspect may be the source of the fault. Also does anybody know which grease is best to use during re-assembly.

Alternatively can anyone recommend a repairer in the UK who is likely to have experience of this problem.

Perl

Orthoplan Focus !

Post by Perl »

Hi

Buy a New One

Regards
Pär
****** Seeing is Believing ******

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

There are advanced Leitz hobbyists who renovate these magnificient focus blocks to good as new condition. There's one in the UK and another one in Germany. Maybe more. They advertise on Ebay every now and then.

I would NOT advice to try to disassemble and renovate that thing by yourself and would certainly never try it myself, even though I'm known to tinker with scopes and do fixing..."A man has got to know his limitations" :D

Perl

Post by Perl »

Hi
Have on extra for sale if you want ?
****** Seeing is Believing ******

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Thanks Pär, but I already have an excellent one, plus another good one as a spare. So I'm covered.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic