www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaroslawKubiak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning Reply with quote

Dear Forum,
as Mr. O'Toole has shown the Dimage 5400 lens is absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately the scanners light source is pretty poor. Both scanner models produce uneven light that shows itself in the picture as vertical stripes and horizontal color shifts from magenta to green. It's not very obvious but once you have seen it, it gets really annoying. Especially when you try to counter for it in Lightroom.

So I thought I would copy Mr. O’Toole's approach and stick the lens via adapters on my Canon 6D and use a Kaiser Filmcopy Vario as lightsource and film mask.

Maybe someone could kindly help me with a couple of questions before I go out and spend money:
1. Does this lens produce sharp pictures on a fullframe camera when reproducing 1:1?
2. How do I focus a lens like that? By adjusting the space between lens and subject?

Thank you very much in advance!

Image source: https://www.fotointern.ch/archiv/2018/09/27/kaiser-filmcopy-vario-erinnerungsbilder-digitalisieren/
lothman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Minolta 5400 Lens for DSLR Scanning Reply with quote

JaroslawKubiak wrote:

1. Does this lens produce sharp pictures on a fullframe camera when reproducing 1:1?
2. How do I focus a lens like that? By adjusting the space between lens and subject?

1) The lens was not designed for 1:1 magnification but still works at 1:1, so you leave the optimum of this lens. Did you read Robert O'Tooles 1:1 lens test, so may be the Sigma 70mm Art is better suited for your purpose.

2) yes,with the distance lens<->sensor you control the magnification and with distance lens<->object you control focus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Technique and Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: