Balloons in pits on a live and active BMSB

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Balloons in pits on a live and active BMSB

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is a follow-on to my earlier "Balloons in pits, brown marmorated stink bug" (BMSB). The subject in that case was dead and dried, and the images showed partially collapsed balloon-like structures.

Here I've repeated the exercise, with some modifications, to show similar structures on a live and active BMSB.

Stereo pair, crossed-eye.

The above is cropped to show the finest available detail of a wide variety of forms, including some fully inflated as seen from the side and from the top, some not inflated at all, and another couple that appear to be broken and lying open. One of those, at top of image, appears to be missing its membranous top altogether (or maybe it's just very transparent and reflecting nothing), so that we're looking straight down into the base of the structure. Unfortunately, all we can really see is that "It's very dark down there!" I'm guessing there's a pore, but that's impossible to tell for sure in this shot.

Note that this bug is pretty old and has been handled quite a bit. Comparing against the SEM images shown at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... 469#254469 , which show only fully expanded balloons, I'm guessing that their specimen was young and untouched.

Here's the entire frame, again as a stereo pair:

And finally, for context, here's a much wider stack of almost the whole bug. The outlined area is what's shown above. The black lump glued to the bug's back is a magnetic holding jig that I've documented in a separate thread, HERE.

Shot with Mitutoyo M Plan Apo 20X NA 0.42, 201 frames at 0.002 mm focus step, and with 2X NA 0.55, 42 frames at 0.100 mm focus step, both on Raynox DCR-150 tube lens to a Canon T1i camera. Dual flash diffused through copy paper. The bug was actually lying on its back with legs pointing upward and the diffuser above it. Rotated here to make the aspect ratios work out better for stereo. Stereo shift is +-5%, which gives about 10.2 degrees of stereo separation.

I hope you find this interesting!

--Rik

Edit: to add link for magnetic holding jig
Last edited by rjlittlefield on Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Interesting.

How did you get this insect to stay put for a 201 stack at 20X :shock:

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

mawyatt wrote:How did you get this insect to stay put for a 201 stack at 20X :shock:
Now explained at https://www.photomacrography.net/forum/ ... hp?t=40625 .

--Rik

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very fine work. I am surprised too that these had held up to a strong organic solvent, even if they are not waxy extrusions. Even within a class of sensilla (and I still think that is what they are), there will be a range of differences in different species. A search on the internet for 'campaniform', or 'basiconic' or 'ceoloconic' sensilla show various similarities to these. I don't know exactly what they are other then some sort of sensilla.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Mark, thanks for the kind words and added information.

None of my outside inquiries have produced any solid answers to the question of these things do.

If they are sensilla, which I agree seems likely, then I have no idea how to go about figuring out just what it is that they're sensing.

--Rik

MacroLab3D

Post by MacroLab3D »

Rik, i just wanted to say that your posts always blow my bind. This thread is fascinating, amazing and other such wording. First time i see someone shot 50X on live specimen. Thank you.
-Oleksandr

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Oleksandr, thank you for the kind words.

To clarify, I was not able to image the live BMSB at 50X, only 20X. I did try to shoot the live one at 50X, but the working distance was so short that the bug kept grabbing the objective and trying to pull itself away from the restraint. :roll:

In retrospect, I think it would have succeeded at getting loose if I had continued the 50X attempt for very much longer. It turns out that epoxy does not stick terribly well to the waxy coat of these bugs.

--Rik

Edited (2023-06-03) to add a reference to an old discussion: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11071 , especially the last post at viewtopic.php?p=69218#p69218 .

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic