Trout flies

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

pittendrigh

Trout flies

Post by pittendrigh »

We don't see many trout fly images here. They are one of my hobbies.

Ephemerella Infrequens, known to fly fishermen as the Pale Morning Dun.
Real and artificial--with the artificial as a dry fly that floats. The real ones are about 5/16" inch long (not counting tail fibers) or 8mm.

Hend held with 105mm macro lens and extension rings. Manual focus with multiple exposures per second (sometimes) results in a well-focused image.

Same 105mm lens and extension tubes, this time on a tripod with light tent and weith geeqie->ZereneStacker and a Stackshot rail, darkttable to process The tif output from Zerene, with final touchups in Gimp.

Trout fly photographers nearly always position the fly horizontally with the longest axis of the fish hook at right angles to the focal plane in order to minimize depth of field blurriness. Focus stacking provides a refreshing relief from that too often repeated subject posture.

The only posture I haven't been able to do well yet is looking at the fly from below. Perhaps with expensive low glare museum glass?

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

Very interesting.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Interesting indeed. I gather you are a fly fisherman, living in the right place to pursue the hobby! Very nice photography. The complexity and detail of living things is highlighted by your two shots, and is always humbling.

Leonard

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Re: Trout flies

Post by rjlittlefield »

Nice images!
pittendrigh wrote:Perhaps with expensive low glare museum glass?
Small pieces of museum glass can be purchased on eBay for a few dollars. For example today there is https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tru-Vue-Museum ... 3833905295 which can be ordered in 4"x6" with Tru Vue Museum Glass for $9.99 with free shipping.

An alternative that may already be in your kit is a high quality coated UV filter. You can think of the filter as being a small thin piece of very high quality museum glass, very expensive but you already own it!

The main advantage of the museum glass is that it comes in bigger sheets. I have something like a 6"x9" piece that I sometimes use to suspend small subjects.

--Rik

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic