Component Flocking Fun

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Macro_Cosmos

Component Flocking Fun

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

I designed and ordered some adapters for a couple threadless lenses from a guy I know in China, they finally came in. Pretty good quality!

I designed my adapter to have standard M42x1 threads that can be easily adapted to my Thorlabs SM2 tubes. There's also a larger stopper rim to prevent wobble when being housed in the M42 adapter. Retaining rings can be used to stop this but I can't seem to find M42 ones. There's thin M42>M39 adapters that should do the same thing.

The Minolta 5400 one is a tight fit, the Scanner-Nikkor 7-element one is a bit loose. This is due to my liberal measurements, luckily, flocking made it tight.
The tubular lenses are secured via 3 silicon tapped M4 set screws.

The next step is designing a mechanism that allow polarisers to be mounted with ease.

I did think about designing a universal adapter, but there's no cost savings according to the friend. I just went with the standard M42 instead. I also have a truly universal one that uses a clamping shell mechanism designed, I was quoted pretty ridiculous figures for one copy.

I flocked both the internals and the rim of the adapter:
It's likely unnecessary to flock the rim.

Here's the stuff I use:

I find flocking to be relaxing and enjoyable. Have some music in the background or a video playing, then get busy!

NikonUser

Post by NikonUser »

you forgot the vinly/rubber gloves; prevents fingerprints on the glass!
NU.
student of entomology
Quote – Holmes on ‘Entomology’
” I suppose you are an entomologist ? “
” Not quite so ambitious as that, sir. I should like to put my eyes on the individual entitled to that name.
No man can be truly called an entomologist,
sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp.”
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr
The Poet at the Breakfast Table.

Nikon camera, lenses and objectives
Olympus microscope and objectives

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst »

NikonUser wrote:you forgot the vinly/rubber gloves; prevents fingerprints on the glass!
Most rubber or vinyl gloves I've used will leave prints. They usually have release compounds or other oily or dusty coatings that leave marks.

Macro_Cosmos

Post by Macro_Cosmos »

NikonUser wrote:you forgot the vinly/rubber gloves; prevents fingerprints on the glass!
Yeah it would be better to use one, but it just doesn't feel right when cutting stuff etc.

If I get the lens smudged (ie, the photo above... lol), I'll just clean it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic