Eupholus magnificus

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

kaleun96

Eupholus magnificus

Post by kaleun96 »

Been practicing with better diffusion lately and this beetle had caused me trouble in the past so thought it was a good place to start.

Sigma 105mm at 1x

- Cam

nanometer

Post by nanometer »

Very nice! Looks like a difficult subject to get the lighting right and it looks like you succeeded :)

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

Thanks nanometer! I definitely had some trouble with this one until I picked up some diffusion gel.
- Cam

brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Fantastic! Dead insects can be surprisingly beautiful!
The trouble with quick and dirty is that the dirty remains after the quick is gone.

Yawns

Post by Yawns »

I'm experimenting with LEE diffuser sheet
#400 Lee lux
and I'm pleased with what it does with the shiny highlights on metallic subjects... retains a lot of detail in the critical areas.

I'm sorry for the really sloppy picture.. It's just a test crash dummy missing body parts.
And I'm unsure about publishing pictures in your post.. I hope you don't take it wrong. It's only to illustrate.
Image60 Photos - 2019-09-07 - C by antonio caseiro, on Flickr
YAWNS _ (Y)et (A)nother (W)onderful (N)ewbie (S)hooting

kaleun96

Post by kaleun96 »

Yawns wrote:I'm experimenting with LEE diffuser sheet
#400 Lee lux
and I'm pleased with what it does with the shiny highlights on metallic subjects... retains a lot of detail in the critical areas.

I'm sorry for the really sloppy picture.. It's just a test crash dummy missing body parts.
And I'm unsure about publishing pictures in your post.. I hope you don't take it wrong. It's only to illustrate.
Not at all! Nice to see your results with the diffusers as well. I think I used either the 250 (half diffusion) or 216 (quarter diffusion, same transmission as the #400).

I'm still noticing loss of detail but it may be due to how I'm using the diffuser. I changed to having the diffuser wrap around the subject rather than placed at a distance in front of the flash. In my photo above you can also see some hot spots that look a bit like reflection of light into the lens but it may just be the diffusing of light on the edges of the specimen gives that effect.

How have you set up your diffuser?
- Cam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic