Spider in window well

Images of undisturbed subjects in their natural environment. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

brentbristol

Spider in window well

Post by brentbristol »

I wasn't sure whether to place this topic in Nature or Studio. The spider was in a basement window well between window glass (double pane!) and the window screen. The spider was undisturbed and in a habitat that it had chosen.

Camera: Canon 7D MkII
Lens: MPE-65 1X-5X @ 2X and f5.6
10 second exposures @ ISO 100
Circular polarizer used to reduce reflections from the glass window
Cognysis Stackshot @ 75 micrometer step size, 78 images
Stacked in Zerene Stacker using Pmax. Contrast adjusted in Photoshop CS6.

Here is the setup

Here is the spider waiting for a meal:

Full size:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brentbris ... 608298428/
Last edited by brentbristol on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The trouble with quick and dirty is that the dirty remains after the quick is gone.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

This is a very nice over-the-shoulder viewpoint. It makes me feel like I'm somehow part of the spider's world, in a non-threatening way for once. Well done!

Nature forum seems to me like the right place for this, based on the aspects that you've noted: "undisturbed and in a habitat that it had chosen".

--Rik

brentbristol

Post by brentbristol »

Thanks Rik. I was initially quite put off at the prospect of shooting through a double pane window. There was plenty of debris stuck on the outside of the glass and an earlier attempt at 1x had too much focal overlap between the debris on the glass and the spider. At 2X the depth of field was thin enough to separate the spider from much of the foreground debris. Amazing how a relatively wide aperture manages to "look around" foreground specks.
The trouble with quick and dirty is that the dirty remains after the quick is gone.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic