Soap film interference abstracts

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Soap film interference abstracts

Post by zzffnn »

Would it be fun to come up with some creative names for the following images? Please feel free to suggest; I will acknowledge you in my Flickr, if I adopt your creative name(s) and you give me permission to do so.

Maybe "Tsunami":
ImageSoap bubble interference abstract 1 by Fan Zhang, on Flickr

Maybe "Lioness":
ImageSoap bubble interference abstract 2 by Fan Zhang, on Flickr

Maybe "Ostrich"?:
ImageSoap bubble interference abstract 3 by Fan Zhang, on Flickr

"Horseshoe Crab"? I know this name sounds boring, but it may be a stretch to call this "Star Trek fleet"?
ImageSoap bubble interference abstract 4 by Fan Zhang, on Flickr

Maybe "Dance Party"?
ImageSoap bubble interference abstract 5 by Fan Zhang, on Flickr

Maybe "Supernova"?
ImageSoap bubble interference abstract 6 by Fan Zhang, on Flickr

I made these photos following forum member Michael's approach (thank you Michael), with the exception that I used a straw to blow air onto soap bubbles to generate interesting patterns:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/ind ... bbles.html

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Right in the middle of your "Dance Party" image there is a figure that looks an awful lot like the subject in the iconic Edvard Munch painting, so you might call it "The Scream"--

Leonard

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

leonardturner wrote:Right in the middle of your "Dance Party" image there is a figure that looks an awful lot like the subject in the iconic Edvard Munch painting, so you might call it "The Scream"--

Leonard
Thank you very much, Leonard. You know I did think about that exact painting when naming this photo. I missed the exact figure though; were you referring to the biggest black dot, or which one? Please feel free to put a circle on that photo.

How about "The Scream in dance party" :twisted:

What is your take on that "Star Trek fleet"?

mawyatt

Post by mawyatt »

Beautiful images!!! Third looks like something from the Mandelbrot Set!!

Best,
Research is like a treasure hunt, you don't know where to look or what you'll find!
~Mike

leonardturner

Post by leonardturner »

Well, OK, maybe a space alien version of The Scream.

Leonard

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Leonard,

I was imagining the figure with his / her hands down, that was why I did not initially go with the name "The Scream". That figure is indeed no doubt the most prominent feature of that image.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you, Mike.

You know what, photo #3 was completely naturally occurring and undisturbed (it was the very last phase of soap film, before the film bursted; that "ostrich head" was a stream of soappy water falling down from retainer ring). So I would not be too surprised, if a math function can replicate the pattern. Yes, part of it does look like patterns from Mandelbrot set.

All other photos here were created by my blowing air onto soap film (they likely won't happen naturally and may not be easily described by math function).

Sumguy01

Post by Sumguy01 »

=D> Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you, Sumguy01. I am glad you like it.

It is not difficult to make. I followed Mike's basic idea, but simply used a smaller rig, put my speedlite+diffuser and everything on a table and hand held a macro lens to shoot the soap films.

Roundel

Post by Roundel »

I'm digging what you're doing! I killed a Paul C Buff Einstein doing these...the soap spilled into the flash and BANG. Luckily it seems like it can be repaired.

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

Thank you, Roundel. Your interference patterns are fascinating. They appear to form naturally. Did you blow air on them or disturb the soap film in any way? I don't remember I achieved your patterns before.

Maybe our soap film holders are very different? Mine was nearly circular with cloth wrapped around edge.

I am sorry to hear your flash was damaged by soapy water. I used a cheap $90 Godox protected with diffuser. But my shooting table did get quite messy after a few photos.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic