Kosher Salt

Images taken in a controlled environment or with a posed subject. All subject types.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Deanimator

Kosher Salt

Post by Deanimator »

Kosher salt crystals.

Canon T4i
Amscope 4x objective on bellows.
Flashpoint studio strobe
Shutter speed: 1/200
ISO: 100

Pau
Site Admin

Post by Pau »

Kosher doesn't seem a chemical concept but a religious one. The crystals shape suggests normal NaCl.
Pau

Olympusman

Kosher salt

Post by Olympusman »

The strange thing about salt is that it is not all the same, depending on the source. I have photographed dissolved and dried Kosher salt and it appears to set up differeently than ordinary table salt, possibly because it may be non-iodized. Gourmet cooking magazines occassionaly run features on exotic salts, some of which are red or even black, and I have read that pretzel salt is a variety of sea salt from Mexico. Makes me want to dig some out of the bottom of the pretzel bag and see what it looks like.

Mike
Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Deanimator

Post by Deanimator »

Pau wrote:Kosher doesn't seem a chemical concept but a religious one. The crystals shape suggests normal NaCl.
It says "Kosher" on the container, so I have to defer to science... :wink:

Deanimator

Re: Kosher salt

Post by Deanimator »

Olympusman wrote:The strange thing about salt is that it is not all the same, depending on the source. I have photographed dissolved and dried Kosher salt and it appears to set up differeently than ordinary table salt, possibly because it may be non-iodized. Gourmet cooking magazines occassionaly run features on exotic salts, some of which are red or even black, and I have read that pretzel salt is a variety of sea salt from Mexico. Makes me want to dig some out of the bottom of the pretzel bag and see what it looks like.

Mike
I'm a big fan of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" (despite my utter lack of cooking ability) and Kosher salt appears to be all he ever uses except for pickles.

Olympusman

Alberger Process

Post by Olympusman »

Michael Reese Much FRMS EMS Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic