Keyence digital image stitching scope(?)

Have questions about the equipment used for macro- or micro- photography? Post those questions in this forum.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

Smokedaddy

Keyence digital image stitching scope(?)

Post by Smokedaddy »

I thought this was a interesting scope. Anyone have experience with this bad boy? I wonder how they're doing the image stitching in a second or two?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOhetGx6unI

Here's a data sheet on the stitching somewhat. It mentioned it captures 50 frames a second. It must be a video capture, like the Astronomy guys do.

https://www.keyence.com/ss/products/mic ... /index.jsp

-JW:

lothman

Re: Keyence digital image stitching scope(?)

Post by lothman »

Smokedaddy wrote:Anyone have experience with this bad boy? I wonder how they're doing the image stitching in a second or two?
In our research lab we use two Keyence digital microscopes. They work like advertised and an inexperienced student can do magnificent Pictures of small objects after 15-30 minutes crash course.

Optically they are not top notch - but in 99% it gets the job done. Software is good and hardware runs very stable. It can Combine HDR and Stitching.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

lothman wrote:
Smokedaddy wrote:Anyone have experience with this bad boy? I wonder how they're doing the image stitching in a second or two?
In our research lab we use two Keyence digital microscopes. They work like advertised and an inexperienced student can do magnificent Pictures of small objects after 15-30 minutes crash course.

Optically they are not top notch - but in 99% it gets the job done. Software is good and hardware runs very stable. It can Combine HDR and Stitching.
Does it use a video camera to capture the images, I assume so. How is it possible to stack and stitch the images within a second, maybe two?

Do you know the approximate cost of the system?

-JW:

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

lothman wrote:Optically they are not top notch ...
Compared to what?

Thanks,
-JW:

lothman

Post by lothman »

Smokedaddy wrote:
lothman wrote:Optically they are not top notch ...
Compared to what?

Thanks,
-JW:
compared to someone like Ray Parhurst or RobertOToole :D :D :D

They use a kind of videocam with small sensor, have nice lightning Adapters. I think you will end up in the range of 20 k$ to 60 k$ depending on the configuration.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Thanks for responding. I was using a Astronomy video cam 15 years ago for capturing and processing Astronomy images with nice results (for the era). Even so, processing, meaning the stacking of those captured images wasn't one or two seconds.

rjlittlefield
Site Admin

Post by rjlittlefield »

Smokedaddy wrote:How is it possible to stack and stitch the images within a second, maybe two?
I'd place my bet on a careful job of GPU coding. A simple algorithm like PMax only requires a couple hundred arithmetic operations per pixel to do the actual stacking, so at video resolution and carefully pipelined to avoid memory bottlenecks, even a basic 100 gigaflops GPU could trot along pretty quickly.

--Rik

Scarodactyl

Post by Scarodactyl »

Low resolution stacks are also quick, ones I dod from my Nikon 2mp camera zipped by on helicon.

Smokedaddy

Post by Smokedaddy »

Scarodactyl wrote:Low resolution stacks are also quick, ones I dod from my Nikon 2mp camera zipped by on helicon.
Like one or two seconds. <g>

-JW:

chris_ma

Post by chris_ma »

looks like a very interesting machine.
to me the most surprising thing is that they seem to be able to get a pretty good 3D scan of the images.

on the downside it looks like they deliberately messed up the non-HDR image samples to make the HDR look better (understandably it's tricky to show off HDR on a normal monitor, but blurring frames just makes the other claims questionable too).

couldn't find any info online on a quick search, what's the price range on a product like this?

Alan Wood

Post by Alan Wood »

chris-ma asked about the price range.

The Quekett Microscopical Club had a demonstration of the VHX-5000 in 2017, and with the 20-200x lens prices started from £54,000.

There is a report of the demonstration, with photos, on the Quekett website, but it is only available to Quekett members:
http://www.quekett.org/members/meetings ... 17-keyence

If any non-members would like to see the report, send me a PM and we can work out how to send you a PDF.

Alan Wood

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic