www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Fruit Fly at 7x
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Fruit Fly at 7x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaleun96

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Fruit Fly at 7x Reply with quote

I believe this is a fruit fly, perhaps Drosophila obscura.

The magnification range needed for the ideal framing was just out of reach. I'm pretty covered for around 5X and below or 8X and above but this needed something a bit in-between.

I ended up using an Olympus 26.2 f3.1 reversed on the Redrock Micro 5x (180mm FL). The Olympus lens is some oddball 3M or microfiche styled lens.

EasyZoom Link

EasyZoom Link

I definitely struggled with only having one flash for these shots, it was quite difficult to light the underside of the mouth while getting the desired downward lighting to produce a clear background. I now have a second flash in the mail.
Olympusman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Fruit fly Reply with quote

I don't think it is a Drosophila.

Mike
kaleun96

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fruit fly Reply with quote

Olympusman wrote:
I don't think it is a Drosophila.

Mike

Any ideas? I'm not a Swedish, nor European, native so I'm clueless when it comes to identifying species here!
viktor j nilsson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely not Drosophilidae. It's one of the calyptrate families, probably Muscidae or Anthomyidae. Difficult without a photo of the entire fly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Technical and Studio Photography -- Macro and Close-up All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: