Martin Dohrn's filming of invertebrates

This area is for the discussion of what's new, what's on your mind, and general photographic topics. A place to meet, make comments on this site, and get the latest community news.

Moderators: rjlittlefield, ChrisR, Chris S., Pau

zzffnn

Martin Dohrn's filming of invertebrates

Post by zzffnn »

I just watch this amazing documentary called "Big World In A Small Garden" from CuriosityStream.com.

It reveals how cinimatographer Martin Dohrn (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1365407/) has rigged a high speed video camera to capture invertebrate behaviors, from invertebrate's point of view, in his backyard garden.

Anyone here know how difficult it is to build a high speed macro filming rig like his? I would like to build a rig like that one day.

I don't know for sure, but it appears that his lenses and camera (maybe even a Panasonic GH5 would do?) are not super fancy, but his mechanical fixtures and controls are very elaborate.

MarkSturtevant

Post by MarkSturtevant »

I can't see where to look other than maybe by going to Curiosity Stream and signing up for a free trial.
But there is this lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrzQjUQds6g

Have you ever seen an old (and rather odd) movie about insects called The Hellstrom Chronical? Amazing footage even by todays standards.
Mark Sturtevant
Dept. of Still Waters

zzffnn

Post by zzffnn »

MarkSturtevant wrote:I can't see where to look other than maybe by going to Curiosity Stream and signing up for a free trial.
But there is this lens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrzQjUQds6g

Have you ever seen an old (and rather odd) movie about insects called The Hellstrom Chronical? Amazing footage even by todays standards.
Mark,

I don't think Martin used Laowa in that film, but his lens probably follows a similar optical design. Basically a wide angle lens with long extension. What amazed me most was Martin's mechanical system that focuses and glides his high speed camera.

I have not seen Hellstrom Chronicle.

Curiosity Stream costs me $20 for a year, for 1080p streaming. To me, it is well worth it, I would happily pay much more for their documentaries. I am a penny pincher and I rarely pay for any subscription service unless I have to, but they have great educational contents.

Their biomedical contents is very thought-provoking even for a biomedical scientist (me); I have used them as starting points for some of my professional work.

Troels

Post by Troels »

Mark,
As a young entomologist I read somewhere about The Hellström Chronicles. But I was unable to be at the right place to see it. Then suddenly some years later (perhaps 40 year ago?) I discovered the name in a program for a science fiction movie festival in Copenhagen!

I went for it and was completely blown away with the exceptional use of macro and slow motion filming. So many interesting details from the small world and extremely beautiful and moving scenery never shown before on a big screen.

I remember a little of a speak with some wierd thoughts about the insects taking over when mankind would blow everything up. That might be the reason for the appearing on a Science Fiction festival. I didn't care. Instead it sparcled my interest in insect photography.
Troels Holm, biologist (retired), environmentalist, amateur photographer.
Visit my Flickr albums

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic