www.photomacrography.net :: View topic - Hi from Houston, TX
www.photomacrography.net Forum Index
An online community dedicated to the practices of photomacrography, close-up and macro photography, and photomicrography.
Photomacrography Front Page Amateurmicrography Front Page
Old Forums/Galleries

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hi from Houston, TX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazyeye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Hi from Houston, TX Reply with quote

Greetings!

New here. My current job is a Sommelier at the oldest steakhouse in Houston. Semi-Pro Food photographer.

Looking to meet up with a Houston photomacrography pro/enthusiast to pick their brain over lunch. I’ll buy.

Let me know if you’d like to have a free lunch to help me learn some more about this craft!

Thanks!
ChrisR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board!
Now, where can I get cheap flights...?
lazyeye

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha thanks! Hope the flight is worth the lunch. Looks like we are going to have to have some steak, lobster and champagne on that luncheon!
zzffnn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome from Houston, Lazyeye!

I am a macro and micro enthusiast. Not a pro. But I do have a giant 2XL -sized head that has tons of brain there Twisted Evil

For 5x-10x on-sensor, you don't really need a real microscope stand. $500 sounds about enough if buying used microscope objectives.

Just get some infinity corrected microscope objectives (e.g., Nikon CFI BE Plan 4x and 10x), Raynox DCR-150 and DCR-250 as tube lens, WeMacro rail /system and Zerene stacking software.

Here you can find Robert's lens tests, which include a 4x under $100 comparison (in which he recommended Nikon CFI BE Plan achromat 4x):

https://www.closeuphotography.com/lens-tests

You don't have to buy me lunch; I am glad to meet local enthusiasts. I won't resist free Kobe beef though Twisted Evil Lunch meet is perfect for me, as I am not available in most weekends or at dinner time. My lunch time is very flexible this month (but may be not next month).

If you have enough table space at lunch, I can bring you my microscope rig (Nikon Optiphot) to have some hands-on. But again, you may not need a real microscope for 5-10x.

My Flickr contains some hand-held macro and two micro photos (the foraminifer shell was a hand operated stack from a microscope):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zzffnn/

I have not done much studio macro stacking, though I have relevant knowledge from years of reading at this forum.

I used to do some microscopy videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYAEvNNuwcyuBweWx6uV71w

You can reach me at zzffnn at h0tm8il dot c0m or seven13 eight05 zero175 (text please, if later than 9:30PM or earlier than 8:30AM).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.photomacrography.net Forum Index -> Community Members and Friends All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: